Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishing99

Jason Borger

I purchased a limited edition copy of Gary Borger's book "Designing Trout Flies" when it was first published. I was awed by the drawings in the book done by his son - Jason Borger.

Later, I came to realize that he was the one who had done the shadow casting in the movie "A River Runs Through It".

I was fortunate enough to see a slide show presentation of his and watch his tying in person.

Recently, I got the actual drawing used on page 25 of the book "Designing Trout Flies". He also watercolored it for me.

What an artist!!!!

Thought others might enjoy seeing it.

photo-74.jpg

Congratulations on adding an original drawing from a treasured book to your collection.

It will look great when properly matted and framed on one of your walls.

I've also heard Jason's presentation on making the movie and found it very interesting. Apparently, Redford first tried to get Jason's dad, Gary for the standin on the casting scenes but Gary had prior commitments and suggested they get Jason.

Dave

Yep, there you have it, he was born into it. Michigan flyfishing Club has had both Jason and his dad at our fly fishing show (many times ) and I have been fortunate enough to tie with both of them, and their one on one is second to none.

Yep, there you have it, he was born into it. Michigan flyfishing Club has had both Jason and his dad at our fly fishing show (many times ) and I have been fortunate enough to tie with both of them, and their one on one is second to none.

How do you draw like that regardless who your father is???

How does Tommy Emanual pick up any guitar in the world and turn it into a symphony or musical instrumments. Your simply born with it. It's that one little thing in life that their brain completely understands, reguardless if it is learned or simply comes naturally to them. Thats what sets true artists apart.

That's a beautiful watercolor charish it.

How does Tommy Emanual pick up any guitar in the world and turn it into a symphony or musical instrumments. Your simply born with it. It's that one little thing in life that their brain completely understands, reguardless if it is learned or simply comes naturally to them. Thats what sets true artists apart.

That's a beautiful watercolor charish it.

It is that others said "He was born INTO it". I believe the implication was that it was because his father, who is/was a professor of biology and famous fly tier/fisherman, was his father.

I don't agree. He was born with talent - regardless of who his father is. His notoriety came, in large part, from his father - but NOT his talent - except through the genes..............

Who is to say whether it is nature or nurture or a combination of both. But this drawing is akin

to scientific illustration.

First you have to a fair understanding of the anatomy of the creature you are attempting to draw.

Then you have to decide the shapes and positions of the different parts of the creature, decide

what direction you want light to be coming from and the way this would cause light and shade to

appear on the various shapes of the creature in the given position and how to represent this in

two dimensions. Once you have internalized enough of this knowledge so that you do not have to

consciously focus on it all at at once, you can make a go of it. Naturally some will achieve

this level of proficiency much more quickly than others.

It isn't that different an issue from tying top level salmon flies or realistic flies. Many of us, myself

included who don't work in the area, marvel at how someone can tie them and yet there are many who

can and do learn to produce them.

Who is to say whether it is nature or nurture or a combination of both. But this drawing is akin

to scientific illustration.

First you have to a fair understanding of the anatomy of the creature you are attempting to draw.

Then you have to decide the shapes and positions of the different parts of the creature, decide

what direction you want light to be coming from and the way this would cause light and shade to

appear on the various shapes of the creature in the given position and how to represent this in

two dimensions. Once you have internalized enough of this knowledge so that you do not have to

consciously focus on it all at at once, you can make a go of it. Naturally some will achieve

this level of proficiency much more quickly than others.

It isn't that different an issue from tying top level salmon flies or realistic flies. Many of us, myself

included who don't work in the area, marvel at how someone can tie them and yet there are many who

can and do learn to produce them.

EXACTLY!!!!

That's why I don't like it when folks say he or other artists "were born into it". You have to have innate talent and have to work at it to bring it to his level. As I said, he gets his notoriety from his father initially. However, if you don't have the talent, you will quickly fade.............

EXACTLY!!!!

That's why I don't like it when folks say he or other artists "were born into it". You have to have innate talent and have to work at it to bring it to his level. As I said, he gets his notoriety from his father initially. However, if you don't have the talent, you will quickly fade.............

so, you have said

1) he is genetically predisposed

2) was given initial notoriety due to his bloodline

3) was afforded the time, opportunity, and means to HIGHLY advance his talents...

which to me boils down to "he was born into it."

I truly believe the vast majority of us have some innate talent which could be developed to the same level- but damn few of us <take, recognize, seize, are given> the opportunity to make a living doing it. Most of us find something else we are really good at which brings an income that gets us through life while trying like hell to keep that spark of creative talent alive.

EXACTLY!!!!

so, you have said

1) he is genetically predisposed

2) was given initial notoriety due to his bloodline

3) was afforded the time, opportunity, and means to HIGHLY advance his talents...

which to me boils down to "he was born into it."

I truly believe the vast majority of us have some innate talent which could be developed to the same level- but damn few of us <take, recognize, seize, are given> the opportunity to make a living doing it. Most of us find something else we are really good at which brings an income that gets us through life while trying like hell to keep that spark of creative talent alive.

1. There is no way to know if his artistic talent came from his father's genes. I don't think his father is as much an artist as Jason is.

2. I certainly do not know (nor do you) that he "was afforded the time, to HIGHLY advance his talents..."

What do you do for a living, and what did your father do for a living - same thing?

Why is it difficult to just recognize the talents of others?

Perhaps you would enjoy this photo I took yesterday?

IMG_1257.jpg

beautiful photo.

I've read his interviews and his own website where he describes his upbringing immersed in fly fishing and related activities.

He is an immensely talented individual.

If his father was a full time truck driver, would Jason Borger be the "same" Jason Borger we know today?

No, my Dad and I have vastly different professions. He was a damn good truck driver for his entire life, and I had a first career in the electronics world of the military, and now I continue to support my family by working in the electronics realm, and I like to tie flies and to fly fish. If my Dad was a professor, film maker, lecturer, and author, I'm quite sure I would be someone quite different than who I am today.