Fly Tying
feathers5

Poster Fly Patterns

I don't post anything unless I've fished it.

However, I do believe that many, maybe even half the flies are just dreamed up at the vise and posted to share. I've seen some flies posted, that can tell by the way the materials are tied on the hook will not work the way the tier intends them to. And no, testing it in the swimming pool much less the bath tub, most of the time, will not give you the same action as when that fly is fished at the end of fifty feet of fly line.

Anyway, one thing I would really like to see on the Fly Data Base submissions is a requirement to fill in the material list, it really makes me angry at some tiers that they don't fill in the material list especially on many of the wet flies and salmon flies. I don't know if it is laziness or smugness but it is really pathetic for a person to post a pattern without listing the materials.

Kirk

I'm with Kirk, if you go through the trouble to post a pattern in the database, it should have a materials list in the least, if not SBS instructions, as well. I do not always need the SBS, I feel like I can pretty much look at the photos and get the idea of how it was tied, but sometimes the materials can be tough to figure out. The flash materials, especially, my gosh there are so many brands and colors, and it seems to expand every month.

I try not to post anything new that I have not at least casted under real-world conditions, sometimes that means casting a topwater pattern after ice-out just to see how it rides, casts, and what sort of action it has on the water. I truly feel that seeing that I can tell you if the fly will catch fish when it comes to warmwater patterns under the right conditions. I like including photos of the fly in a fish's jaw with a pattern that I have caught fish on because it shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that it catches fish.

I post pictures of both. I actually do really like critique, I've been in the commercial art world for most of my adult life so I value honest critique.

You'll see me post a lot with the warm water threads as I learn to tie bass flies. I don't get to fish bass too much at this point so I have long waits between fishing excursions, like MN once a year. So I either make something up or parrot stuff I see here and post it up to get tips on how to make it better.

I have flies I've tied that I might never fish, I just see something I'd like to try and give it a shot, then I sometimes get interested in retrying it several times trying to get it right. posting up a shot for critique is fun for me.

I had two Dietrich poppers, I fished one to death and keep the other under glass. If I had a stippled popper it would be in there too dry and safe. But that comment was funny as hell IMHO.

Since I've been a photographer pretty much as many decades as fly fisher it also happens on occasion that it's about the photo not the fly.

I'm with Kirk, if you go through the trouble to post a pattern in the database, it should have a materials list in the least, if not SBS instructions, as well.

I've seen on other sites, people post pics of flies they say are the secret weapon, totally effective, awesome producers, etc, and then go on to intentionally state they won't list "secret" materials or steps!!! Instead of making me mad, it makes me laugh, and makes me sad someone is so full of themselves they think they were the first and only one to do it... I loved one post where the tyer said something like "I incorporate a few special triggers into the pattern, fortunately they are not visible in the photo" or some such BS. :rolleyes:

"I incorporate a few special triggers into the pattern, fortunately they are not visible in the photo" or some such BS. :rolleyes:

atlas_mike_s_salom_eggs_47954big.jpg

This discussion is interesting to me because I typically don't post pictures of my flies. First, my level of talent is nowhere near what is displayed by a number of posters here. Second, the things I tie that make me happy wouldn't do much for anyone else. Does anyone really want to see my version of the Hare's Ear Nymph that uses a mylar thread from JoAnn instead of a wire rib? Probably not. Not so different that you can't visualize it without a picture.

I am doing my first tying demonstration at this year's TroutFest. I'm nervous as all heck about it, and trying to figure out what to tie. In the end, I'm going to tie three flies that I fish more than any others for trout. All of them are patterns that I've seen somewhere else, but all of them use materials that I've found outside of fly shops that make them a bit more "mine". Nothing earth-shattering, but if you caught me on my local tailwater and asked to see my leader, one of these three would be on the end at least 90% of the time. One of them I thought I'd invented until I saw an old Fly Tyer magazine with nearly the same pattern in it. Oh well. Hopefully some of the folks will enjoy the patterns - that is if they can see me tying them - the largest is a size 18!

Here's one of them. I can promise you I've caught fish with this fly:

tying_6.jpg

This discussion is interesting to me because I typically don't post pictures of my flies. First, my level of talent is nowhere near what is displayed by a number of posters here. Second, the things I tie that make me happy wouldn't do much for anyone else. Does anyone really want to see my version of the Hare's Ear Nymph that uses a mylar thread from JoAnn instead of a wire rib? Probably not. Not so different that you can't visualize it without a picture.

I am doing my first tying demonstration at this year's TroutFest. I'm nervous as all heck about it, and trying to figure out what to tie. In the end, I'm going to tie three flies that I fish more than any others for trout. All of them are patterns that I've seen somewhere else, but all of them use materials that I've found outside of fly shops that make them a bit more "mine". Nothing earth-shattering, but if you caught me on my local tailwater and asked to see my leader, one of these three would be on the end at least 90% of the time. One of them I thought I'd invented until I saw an old Fly Tyer magazine with nearly the same pattern in it. Oh well. Hopefully some of the folks will enjoy the patterns - that is if they can see me tying them - the largest is a size 18!

Here's one of them. I can promise you I've caught fish with this fly:

tying_6.jpg

Off topic: what kind of bead is that?? I have some ideas rattling around that I could use them for.

On topic: I don't have a computer at home, so I can't post patterns, lol. I know I personally have loads & loads of patterns that have never seen water. Just stuff I've dreamed up that I think may work, but 90% of the time I just tie on a Hare's Ear.

I don't care what people post pictures of I just want them to be good pictures.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=59439

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry461071

There is little that bugs me more on this forum then hitting a small thumbnail only to load a full size image that is dark and/or out of focus.

You people are a trip...Not every body has macro cameras and the great skill as others on here. Some times submitted stuff really looks like chit! I'm not gonna slam anyone but when I can I put my $.02 in. I've been around here off and on for awhile and have NEVER submitted a fly to the data base!! I rarely visit the data base...too much stuff to wade through.

OK, you want substantial stuff on posts? Then what's this BS post really about? Running people like me down? Get a life! Take my stuff or leave it... Here's a example of my stuff...Does it meet your "standards?...Is this the new requirement? This ain't rocket science you know! This place is great for info and learning even if you gotta wade through the snobbery...

If I don't get reponses on post on these forums I delete'em. Why waist good bandwidth with useless uninterested self servings?

Sculpins w/Gadwall flank feathers, deer hair head and lotta lead wire underneath...

sculpins.jpg

103_0597.JPG

The bows like'em too..

103_0586.JPG

Later DL

in focus so it works for me. and before you hurt yourself I believe there's a little bit of tongue in cheek going on here too.

That last shot is a little soft but you can tell it's a fat bow stuck on your fly so I believe it clears the known standards.

have fun

Paul

Off topic: what kind of bead is that?? I have some ideas rattling around that I could use them for.

On topic: I don't have a computer at home, so I can't post patterns, lol. I know I personally have loads & loads of patterns that have never seen water. Just stuff I've dreamed up that I think may work, but 90% of the time I just tie on a Hare's Ear.

That's a Toho seed bead, size 11/0 in silver lined brown. I tie with those down to size 22. I use a 15/0 bead for size 24 and 26 flies. Your local beading supply store will sell you them in hundreds of colors. Your fly shop will also have them as "killer caddis" beads.

in focus so it works for me. and before you hurt yourself I believe there's a little bit of tongue in cheek going on here too.

That last shot is a little soft but you can tell it's a fat bow stuck on your fly so I believe it clears the known standards.

have fun

Paul

Mr. Dieter:

Could you check my photos in the post about receiving dubbing material from the Dungeon?

I'm trying to take decent pics of flies.

Critique would be helpful.

"flyfishing99"

Thanks

We call'em crawdads down here in M'sipi and we eat'em too...mudbugs :bugeyes:

green_cdad.jpg

With credentials...

lil_brwn_crwdd.jpg

Idea from FlyTyer Magazine (scanned)...Mat'l from the fly tie bench. :rolleyes:

crayfish.jpg

Later DL :devil: