Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

CCG Shrimp

Two Different shrimp patterns using clear cure goo...First is tied using thin, second shrimp holds its shape using the flex formula.

This was my second try at this style, added the red feelers as an attractor, if they don't work pull them of and you're left with an egg sack. Used CCG flex to form the tail, Have never fished an "epoxy" shrimp before, anyone here have any luck with one?

P1030475.jpg

Shrimp #2...have used this style before.

P1030433.jpg

Tight lines...dave

Terrific shrimp pattern Dave! I just bought some CCG to play around with. Looking forward to learning how to working with the stuff.

Awesome flies, Dave. What did you use for the black spot on the CCG shrimp, looks exactly like the "brain"? I love the craft fur shrimp, is it weighted at all?

Thanks for the comments...Andy, This may violate trade secrets...but what the hell :lol: I placed black fingernail polish on the fibers after the first coat of goo and placed aditional layers of thin CCG on top until it looked shrimpish. Uber easy to tie, only takes about 10 minuets or so after the first couple of tries.

I tossed it in a tub of water at work today, sinks legs down and the tail gives it a wicked darting motion when stripped. Looking forward to beating the bay with it, may get lucky and hit a red on the head :rolleyes:

Cheers...dave

Nice work, that CCG seems to be working out quite nicely, even more incentive for me to pony up and buy some! I think that shrimp looks almost indestructible :) How quick do the goo flies sink just out of interest?

Both of them look great Panama! I was going to ask about the orientation of the first one as it sank but you answered that. Hopefully it still does that with leader and fly line attached. If not, I've got an idea that will ensure that.

Any fish in his right mind ought to jump on either of those.

Kirk

Kirk,

I fished it saltwater today, the sink rate slower than I anticipated, used in in 1-4 feet with zero weed problems...It continued to sink feet first all day, however, when stripped hard with a jerk, it would sometimes spin once or twice when the tail bent back. To cure this problem I will simply start using Greg Saunders Fly Lipps, It's a perfect aplication for them and I love the action they provide on many types of flies.

I believe the key factor in maintaining proper orientation in the water is the addition of a tail that is stiff enough to provide resistace as it sinks and to use material sparingly on the top of the fly...just enough to look shrimpish.

Fishing was slow, had two nice takes on the shrimp (watched the trout take them) where I failed to produce, I ended the morning with two nice trout and a spanish on an igor eyers SF blend minnow pattern.

Will update with pictures when they arive from my friends phone.

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

Tight lines all...dave

Good Stuff!!!

Glad you are liking it. The new website will be up soon and it will have much more video content- be easier to ready- etch. I would love to see that on our webiste or the Clear Cure Goo Facebook page.

Keep up the great ties!