Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishfish

A pheasant tailed nymph.

DSC01758.jpg

made this one tonight,a very simple nymph pattern but deadly on a chalk stream.Dont know if you chaps use them over the pond,it was designed by a famous fly fisherman,bailiff and tier Frank Sawyer.

thanks for looking.

Oh I know I use them all the time. There is a American version with a peacock herl thorax and pheasant tail legs in the front. But I still like to tie mine the was Mr. Sawyer tied his.

glad to see its used more wide spread than i thaught,when i was a pro-tyer 20 years ago i used to tie them without the silk,just used an even finer wire,used to get the wire from old telephones back then!

The pheasant tail nymph is my favorite pattern to tie. When I can't think of anything else to tie, that's one I go to. I tie it all kinds of variations and colors. Lately, I've been tying them with purple PT and micro tubing for the body. I don't know if the fish will bite it or not, but it looks cool. I also tie Frank Sawyer's original pattern with copper wire instead of thread. It's a fantastic dropper as long as it doesn't get hung up on the river bottom.

I recently read frank sawyers book or one of them entitled: fishing with nymphs, or something like this.It was a great book and he writes about his success with a sawyer nymph on big trout over in europe.He said the reason he did not give his nymphs legs is because nymphs tend to tuck their legs in and use their tails to swim.

PTNs have been one of my go to flys since I started. I have been tying the American style using Charlie Craven's method, but have been wanting to try a few variations.

I recently read frank sawyers book or one of them entitled: fishing with nymphs, or something like this.It was a great book and he writes about his success with a sawyer nymph on big trout over in europe.He said the reason he did not give his nymphs legs is because nymphs tend to tuck their legs in and use their tails to swim.

That is really an interesting observation. Sawyer was certainly a better fisherman than I and his traditional pattern works great, but the legs are usually very prominent in the videos I have seen. For example:

(Check out the other cool videos by Troutnut too).

What really strikes me about these videos is the length and movement of the tails. I'm sure my PTNs do not have that kind of movement. I'm going to have to try and come up with a variation that has a more lifelike tail.

Mike.

As tiers we try to come up with new and exciting flies to get the 'edge' over the trout or other anglers, but if we take a step back and tie on a 50 year old nymph like the pheasant tail it usually catches fish as well as anything else! :P

Not being a traditional trout fisherman, the PT nymph has proven a great nymph pattern for many panfish also. Caught many crappiers and SM's with them. Tied with slight variations but still works great! It's one of those "all purpose nymphs" that seem to always produce :)

Mike