Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hypobaricstalker

What mignifier?

I think it depends on how good your eyes are to begin with. I have a giraffe magnifier. Not sure how strong it is. But i dont tie smaller than 14.

I rarely tie smaller than 18's, however, I've tried various types of magnifiers and found I have real problems using the type with one big lens, like the ones with the circular light bulb around it. I loose any depth percetion with just a single lens, so I tie using drug store reading glasses, about +2.75. Much better depth perception-wise.Only disadvantage is you have to look over the top of them to locate anything on your desk. I generally use them for all my tying, no matter what size. I do wear bi-focals, but prefer a little magnification when I tie.

SOOOO, if I were you, I'd try out the single lens arm type before I buy one, and see if your depth perception suffers. I suspect it depends on the individual; I've seen a lot of folks who use those, so they must work for a lot of people, but not me.

you probably should check with your eye doctor to get a professional recommendation as to exactly what your eyes need

Guest rich mc

i recently started using a round make up mirror that has a magnifiying mirror on the opposite side . i use it more for placing small spinner blades on spilt rings. it does help with normal fly tying if placed behind the vise. rich mc

I have 20/20 vision (at last exam a year ago) but I still use 2.5 reading glasses just for the really small stuff. I could probably get away without them but I find it's faster than waiting for my eyes to focus on the tiny bits....I bought one of the circle lighted magnifiers Chase Creek was talking about and I agree with him, it screws with my depth perception...it's fine for examining a fly AFTER tying...

I picked up a set of MagEyes at JS. A bit pricey but you get two magnifications in the kit and options for more from their website. I was going cross-eyed trying to tie 20-22 midges and after looking around I decided to give them a shot. The 2x lenses are just the ticket for little midge patterns and I've found that the 1.5x is useful on just about everything. Would not hesitate to buy them again.

well considering i have 20/40 vision, i dont need much magnification for small flies although when i get down to 28s, i tend to use a very light pair of reading glasses.