Fly Tying
sneektip

Red Marker

I now own three red markers and such, and none work well. I've tried Sharpie, Sharpie Paint, and the older-style Prismacolors. I just can't seem to find a red marker that doesn't smear right off! I'm trying to color the tips of white rubber legs on my Merkins, and also draw gills on soft foam popper heads and my Puglisi-style baitfish. Please help!!

Not sure how to tread the rubber. As for the soft foam heads, I use a sharpie and then coat it with a water soluable flexible clear coat. I've got one from Cascade Crest Tools, a clear flexible jig coating from Jann's Netcraft. You may be able to color the rubber leg tips and then dip them in some clear coat.

Don't use nail polish though, the thinner in the polish will make the marker bleed on the foam.

You can always use acrylic paint but you still have to top coat that with something to protect it.

Kirk

have you tried coloring the legs and letting them sit for a day or so?

I've found that no matter what type of dye or ink is used on silicone legs, some of it will rub off, but the longer you let it sit the more it adheres. On real RUBBER leg material, sharpie markers do good.

The longest I've let them sit is one night. And yeah, these are real rubber. All other color Sharpies seam to work great on them... just not red! Maybe it's something in the actual red pigment that causes it to not adhere as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have had this problem when i was tying the old STP frog and trying to colour his mouth nice and red, ended up with smudged red all over my hands.

I believe permanent markers do not have Shellac in them to make them permanent. I Tried using Red Drawing Ink and some other color inks on some of my poppers. The Red tended to spread more than other colors when coated with 30 minute Epoxy. I never tried a water soluble clear coat. Kirk's idea shows promise.

In my experience and from what others have written here and elsewhere, If you don't want the marker color to come off, you have to find a compatible clear coat to put over it.

Update: I coated the rubber leg tips with two-part epoxy after coloring them red. Thought it was gonna work, but when I streched the leg, the epoxy popped right off like a little sleeve/ tube! Back to the drawing board!

See if you can find some red "dip n glo" plastic bait dye it works pretty well with rubber skirts and real well with silicone.

The longest I've let them sit is one night. And yeah, these are real rubber. All other color Sharpies seam to work great on them... just not red! Maybe it's something in the actual red pigment that causes it to not adhere as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sometimes we try too hard . Have you thought about buying red ruber and coloring the parts you don't want red?

I used to use a red liquid rubber material to dip tool handles. It was sold at hardware stores and I think I have seen it recently at the home depot. you might be able to dip the ends of the rubber legs in this, but it would increase the thickness of the leg.

I like Fred's common sense suggestion. You could also consider tying different colors together and calling the knots a design feature.

Edit: Here is the stuff. It even comes in different colors:

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Their are dyes meant specifically for plastic worms that should do exactly what you're looking for. Although they're meant for dipping I'm sure you can also use them with a fine tip paint brush or just the end of a bodkin. I'll look to see if I can't find mine and post the name brand if possible. The stuff works perfectly for taking white soft plastic lures and adding a bright red head that won't disappear on you - should be just what you need.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

Their are dyes meant specifically for plastic worms that should do exactly what you're looking for. Although they're meant for dipping I'm sure you can also use them with a fine tip paint brush or just the end of a bodkin. I'll look to see if I can't find mine and post the name brand if possible. The stuff works perfectly for taking white soft plastic lures and adding a bright red head that won't disappear on you - should be just what you need.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

Thats what i posted above Bob "Dip N Glo" or the old stuff was called "Dip N Dye" Works perfectly on plastic baits, very well on silicone and works better than a sharpie any day on rubber.

The stuff I've used was called Colorite. When I did a search I found that they may be out of business although you may find remnants of their stock in Cabela's or other catalogues. The one retail catalogue that I have which lists worm dyes is www.lurepartsonline.com. Hope this helps.

Problem solved. And the winner is... Dip-N-Glow!!! I used the product in marker form. Works awesome. No streaking, no pink finger! Thanks for all the help, guys. I still wonder how the major manufacturers color the tips of thier Merkins' legs, though.