Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salty fly

Fishing log book

Been thinking about starting a log book.Keeping all the info about my day on the water,all local conditions,times,tides(for saltwater),wind,temp any other observation I find.I think keeping a log book I will see a bigger picture of what is going on out there.Let me know what you think and if you are useing one,what is going in your log book.I tried too start one last year,beside days fished and if I hooked up or not,I really did not wright any thing down.

Any tips would help.

Thanks,

Bryan'Salty Fly'

Brian,

I keep a fly fishing log book. I record location, date, weather, temp, water temp, flies used, who I fished with, fish caught, and time of day. My book is water proof and I keep it in my fishing bag. I really like it. Helps me figure out what to use and provides a history of my catches and friends who shared them.

Rob

I use one and make an entry after every trip. I've been doing it for about six years now and I find it invaluable. Each year I refer back to last year to see when hatches started what flies worked, where I encountered the bugs, etc. etc. Also, I feel it will be a good thing to leave to my nephews after I pass. I record the weather the day I fished, air temp, water temp and water depth.

I also keep a log on everything. I record as much info in there as possible so that later in time you can look back and really get a feel for what the day was like. A lot of times it'll respark an old memory that'll put a smile on my face but not too often does it remind me of anything that helps with the upcoming days of fishing but I'm sure it'll happen sometime.

Brian,

I keep a fly fishing log book. I record location, date, weather, temp, water temp, flies used, who I fished with, fish caught, and time of day. My book is water proof and I keep it in my fishing bag. I really like it. Helps me figure out what to use and provides a history of my catches and friends who shared them.

Rob

rstout where did you get your log? I have been looking around to get one but the few I have seen I didn't like.

Kevin

I keep one with all weather conditions such as cloud cover, air temp, water temp , wind direction, location, flies used, the success i had, and what all I have seen that day I have to keep a journal like this for classes I take but it usually doesn't involve fish but it helps me with my fishing spots and times of year i want to fish them and what flies to use.

Brian,

Rob

rstout where did you get your log? I have been looking around to get one but the few I have seen I didn't like.

Kevin

Kevin,

I created it. I ran a publishing company in my former life so I had access to design software, water proof paper, digital printers and binding equipment. There was a site that sold them but it has been a few years since I have seen anything advertised.

Rob

Brian,

Rob

Kevin

Kevin,

I created it. I ran a publishing company in my former life so I had access to design software, water proof paper, digital printers and binding equipment. There was a site that sold them but it has been a few years since I have seen anything advertised.

Rob

Next question is do you have one to spare,(sale), or can point me in the right direction.

Kevin

Brian,

Rob

Kevin

Kevin,

Rob

Next question is do you have one to spare,(sale), or can point me in the right direction.

Kevin

Kevin,

I do not have extras. If you run a google search, there are a few companies that sell them but they seem pretty pricey to me.

Rob

Thanks guys,I have tryed to keep a log book a few times before but like most of you I never kept it up,oh well.

It would be cool to see all info after a year or so.Last year,in my tide book I kept days fished and if I got skunked or not.I think its a pain in the butt,if I stick to it,make it a habit it should not be to bad.

Thanks

Bryan'Salty Fly'

Kevin. I've been using a book from Frank Amato Publications. It cost about $20.00 but it will last for several years depending on how many trips you make a year. It's a hardback book and I thing it's great. It's called: Fishing Journal-Angler Legacy. You'll find it on their site. Just google Frank Amato and you'll find it.

Bruce

Kevin. I've been using a book from Frank Amato Publications. It cost about $20.00 but it will last for several years depending on how many trips you make a year. It's a hardback book and I thing it's great. It's called: Fishing Journal-Angler Legacy. You'll find it on their site. Just google Frank Amato and you'll find it.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce I will take a look.

Kevin