Fly Tying
burch

Making Hologram Eyes

I know, I know, why make `em when ya can just buy `em. I was just thinking about ways to make hologram eyes. Does anyone make their own ? I would guess you might be able to make them out of epoxy but that`s just a guess. :rolleyes:

burch

There was an SBS on here not all that long ago but I can't find it right now, it was with epoxy and looked pretty cool, shoot give a try and see if you can make it work.

Steve

Polymark Dimensional Paint, found in all craft stores, and which is a fabric paint, works for this quite well; plus, it comes in a dropper-top bottle. Eyes of this material can be made on the plastic lids off of coffee cans, butter tubs, etc. A piece of glass, or mirror, is not essential. It comes in a wide range of colors, and costs about $2.00 a bottle. Once the eyes are completely dry, they can be 'popped', or lifted off for storage.

perchjerker

There was a thing on the CCG site about making them out of cheap, flat stick on eyes. Just put a drop on top and hit them with the light....done!

Here is how I do it...

Go find a leather punch. The ones with a handle and different size screw in tips. A whole set can run between 9.00-19.00 dollars

Your choice holographic prism tape. Frequently found at auto stores. I use silver and gold a lot.

Same tape in solid , non prism, colors for the pupil. Black is common.

Punch out the appropriate size eye from the prism tape and the appropriate size for the pupil from the solid color.

Place one on top of each. Now you can apply it to the fly if you plan on coating it. If not , or you want the 3-d effect, place the newly made eye on some wax paper and apply some clear epoxy or your choice of UV cure glue. Now you have a prism domed shape 3-D eye