Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MVHagey

Fish with no eye?

Hey I'm new here but just had a quick question. I went fishing at my local creek for some rock bass and I caught a little smallmouth and it had no eyeball, just a hollow socket with a hole in the bottom. I didn't think much of it until I caught a redear with the exact same eye missing the same way! Anyway I was wondering if this is kind of common or if certain water conditions or predators will do this. Never seen this before, much less on two different fish, so I'm very curious. Thanks anyone!

Nike outlet was the winged goddess or spirit of victory, both in battle and

peaceful competition,Nike store are widely known for their innovations like Nike

Nike Shox and Nike technologies, Nike shoes help athletes of every level of

ability reach.

Don't think this is a good reply to your question haha

But from what I've noticed, most fish that are missing eyes happen from people hooking them in the eyes. Is the creek you fish heavily fished?

Nike outlet was the winged goddess or spirit of victory, both in battle and

peaceful competition,Nike store are widely known for their innovations like Nike

Nike Shox and Nike technologies, Nike shoes help athletes of every level of

ability reach.

Reported for Spam...

But i've had that happen to me a couple times, but the lake i fish is fished real heavily so little kids, and people not knowing what they're doing have hooked them in the eye and what not.

I hook a lot of fish in the eye, not like 1 of 3 more like 1 of 15, but that's a lot when you fish every day. I feel bad and all because I like to return them in perfect condition, other than leaving a new spot for a fashionable lip ring on em, some times I get walleye in the eye...I keep those guy

My first huge trout only had one eye.............I was fishing a green salmon egg and a maggot...........I was still in high school.........guess I made a drift on the right side of the fish..........that trout was about 23 inches..........caught on Fishing Creek, outside of Benton PA..........

watched one of Wendell "Ozzie" Ozefovich's videos and he showed a rainbow with one eye...........then, he showed the fish again---this time it was a year later--same fish, same spot, only he said the fish was longer and heavier.............it was either the Discovery video or the Feeding Lies video.........

In all the years of fishing, that rainbow is the only fish I have caught with one eye

You know I have landed a few fish with whole cheek sections missing, you can see the side of the jaw and tongue and everything not fresh wounds or anything, completely healed that way, only twice so far though. One time i landed a really nice Walleye, she was a big girl... but her left gill plate was smashed to bits, it looked sort of fresh but hard to tell, it looked like a opaque broken glass you know. So, her left side gills where exposed. I was afraid I had done that to her on the fight up, its about 25 feet deep there and loaded with big rocks, made me really sad to see a big girl hurt.

Druce

Ok I've never hooked a fish in the eye nor have I heard of that happening. The spot is fairly heavily fished but both fish were small so I don't think they could have gotten caught too many times... anyway thanks all for the input!

Ok I've never hooked a fish in the eye nor have I heard of that happening. The spot is fairly heavily fished but both fish were small so I don't think they could have gotten caught too many times... anyway thanks all for the input!

Usually it is the smaller fish that get hooked in the eye. Their eyes are closer to their mouth and tend to get foul hooked more easily. Wonder if there has been an unlucky fish with both eyes foul hooked? :blink:

Usually it is the smaller fish that get hooked in the eye. Their eyes are closer to their mouth and tend to get foul hooked more easily. Wonder if there has been an unlucky fish with both eyes foul hooked? :blink:

haha I doubt anyone will catch one of those if it has happened

I've caught some big fish with chunks missing out of there backs, missing top lip, eyes, but the area i fish everyone fishes it thats one of the reasons i started flyfishing to show the fish something new.

I once caught a redfish with only one eye. But the interesting thing was that the eye that was missing wasn't poked out, it was completely "skinned" over. By this I mean it was as though it never had an eye, EVER! the one side was normal and the other just skin and scales. This wasn't a small red either, this was a slot red, aprox. 22", meaning it had probably lived a year or two with only the one eye. Very courageous fighter, hope he still lives today.

This spring I caught a brown trout with only one eye, the missing one was completely healed over. I've got a few pic of it somewhere. I'll post one when I have a minute to find it later tonight. A few years ago I was fishing surface bugs for big bluegills in Florida. I had a vicious strike, I set the hook a bit hard out of sheer surprise, the line kind of went "pop" and then slack... I brought in my fly and it had a fish's eyeball neatly impaled on the hook and cleanly removed from the fish. Freaky, and that's the only time it's happened to me. I have definately had treble hooks on plugs tangle up in fishes' eyes many times in the past.

I once caught a fish with half his head gone. B) It was a Williamson River Redband and an eagle tried to catch it before me. It was a weird looking fish. We debated on killing it or releasing it. Since it fought so hard and seemed to still have a lot of strength we decided to release it and let nature take its course.

post-35448-0-71782100-1316475155_thumb.jpg

The resident bull reds around Jekyll Island in GA all look beat to hell, thier fins and tails are typically split and messed up. I figure its just the environment in this particular area and maybe a hazard of being residential vice migratory like most of the bull reds.