Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JoeLePaul

Heron feathers

Good morning,

yesterday I have acquired some heron feathers and wanted to try out the "Pale Watery Dun" pattern according to Dawes.

This particular fly has a body consisting of heron fibres, very similar to peacock - just winding the fibers around the hook.

However, I have had troubles handling heron.

The heron feather fibres are VERY thin and brittle. As soon as I try to use hackle pliers, the fibres break off at the touching point!

I can tie in the fibres only by hand - however then I have problems with them staying at their place. As soon as I tie them off, some windings of the fibres fall off towards the tail.

Does anyone have any experience handling heron fibres and can help me out?

Thanks!

Joe

Assuming that you live inthe U.S., GET RID OF THE HERON FEATHERS!! You are violating one or more Federal laws by merely having them in your possession!

The first is the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, the second may well be the Endangered and Threatened Species Act.

Life is too damned short to contend with the hassle the Feds may give you; to say nothing of your own state DNR agency.

Even if you do NOT live in the U.S., there are seven (7) nations that are signatories to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and you are subject to it's terms and conditions if you live in any of the seven countries; six of which are: the U.S.,Canada, Mexico, Japan, Great Britain, and Russia. The seventh escapes me at the moment.

aged sage

Agreed-you do not want to have them. fine can be very heavy even for having feathers in your possession of any migratory bird. To be honest, I would not even say how you were able to receive them online. Also, it is not unusual for the conservation officers in canada and the u.s. to monitor sites like this. I am a moderator on a canadian board and know this happens.

marc

Hello,

do not worry. As already stated in my introduction thread, I'm from Germany. Furthermore, I own a small pond in my garden which is regularly visited by herons. Yesterday one of them cleaned itself and dropped a few feathers. So, nothing to monitor.

And - anyone knows how to use them?

Joe

You may not be off the hook; as you may think. Germany is a party to CITES, and if the particular heron species is listed on CITES, you could still be in for a shock! The fact that the feathers were dropped on your property means absolutely nothing under these laws.

Wo in Deutschland sind Sie? Mein Grossvater war in Hassfurt, Bayern, geboren.

perchjerker

Hey Joe,

Very close to me is an area where 100's of Great Blues hang out. I've picked up their feathers as well and have experience exactly the same thing as you. To me they're unusable. I guess if the feathers are to the point of falling out they're past the point of usefulness for us and the heron. I've never seen a fresh carcass of one up close to see if the feathers are of a higher quality but am now curious. I believe I've seen old patterns that called for heron feathers so they must have gotten good feathers. Sorry to not be of more help.

Tom

You may not be off the hook; as you may think. Germany is a party to CITES, and if the particular heron species is listed on CITES, you could still be in for a shock! The fact that the feathers were dropped on your property means absolutely nothing under these laws.

Wo in Deutschland sind Sie? Mein Grossvater war in Hassfurt, Bayern, geboren.

perchjerker

No, really. That's not the case here. (Grey) herons have recovered so well here since the 50's (actual amount of breeding pairs in Germany is approximately >27.000 pairs). The herons have recovered so well that they are part of the hunter's prey. From 16. september to 31. october they may be freely shot in Bavaria - where I live. By the way - you brought me a great idea. I will try to contact the hunters during the "heron season" and ask them for some feathers.

Yeah, it might be that dropped feathers are too old and brittle to work with - but I will try it out to use them nevertheless.

Thanks for the tip with wetting the fibers - I will try it out.

it sounds like more investigative research should have been done on european laws concerning birds and animals before assigning oneself judge, jury and executioner

hope i'm not guilty and going to jail for picking up that feather that was under the bird feeder in the yard (hard to tell which bird lost, theres so many fighting to get a spot on the feeder)

its one thing to educate, but....

just an opinion nothing more

I fail to see the import of these comments, as nothing definite was stated for any place other than the seven (six named) countries that are signatories to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA). The comments about Germany, and CITES, were speculative (may be). Relative to the MBTA, the comments were, and are, FACTS!

Absent knowledge of exactly which species was involved, it was next to impossible to do a thorough investigation, Moreover, that was not, and is not, my personal responsibility. I simply hoisted the Yellow Flag. Is it a 'crime' to do so, for the possible benefit of a fellow forum member?

Yes, under MBTA, you are GUILTY, unless the feathers are from an English House Sparrow, a Starling, or a Pigeon! There are a couple of other non-indigenous species, such as Monk (Quaker) Parakeets that are also not covered by the MBTA, but may be protected by your own state laws. These are species that have invaded the US since the last revision to the MBTA in 1957.

Whether or not the Feds come after you is another matter, and is speculative at best. I will not bore you with any of the oddball examples I am familiar with of just how far they will go to nail someone's hide to the barn door. And it is just as often the everyday citizen as it is the major corporation.

You can trust me on this one, as I spent 28 years of my life seeing to it that the vast array of employees of the very large utility company I worked for did not inadvertently violate any of these laws, as the company stood to loose pieces of equipment whose price tags ran well into mid-six figures. Confiscated, only to be sold at auction, even though they were not 'actively' involved in the 'action'. Also, it was the CEO who stood a chance of being the one to go to prison, and have to pay a hefty fine.

aged sage

Good morning,

yesterday I have acquired some heron feathers and wanted to try out the "Pale Watery Dun" pattern according to Dawes.

This particular fly has a body consisting of heron fibres, very similar to peacock - just winding the fibers around the hook.

However, I have had troubles handling heron.

The heron feather fibres are VERY thin and brittle. As soon as I try to use hackle pliers, the fibres break off at the touching point!

I can tie in the fibres only by hand - however then I have problems with them staying at their place. As soon as I tie them off, some windings of the fibres fall off towards the tail.

Does anyone have any experience handling heron fibres and can help me out?

Thanks!

Joe

Joe

I have not had the pleasure of using heron. But I have noticed that old patterns often say something along the lines of: "Body is cream silk dubbed lightly with heron herl." I assume the author means the herl is spun around the thread and then wound forward to build the body. I have used this technique for making magpie-herl bodies and the results are pleasing and much more sturdy than a naked herl would have been. Hope this helps.