Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
1st.YearTyer

Magnifyer Lamp

As I am new to tying but old of site I am looking to buy a Magnifyer Lamp.If you have any suggestions say the size of glass/optic x/and bulb type.Price you paid would be helpful to know as well.

Right now I have a "macgyver'd" little L.E.D battery light and a handheld magnifyer that I can clamp on but it gets in the way once in a while. post-34945-0-51260400-1313586550_thumb.jpg

I've tried a couple of magnifiers, and found it screwed up my depth perception quite badly.

I have used reading glasses for many years, and don't have that problem. Plus the glasses don't ever get in your way.

Think the ones I use now are +3.75, bought at the drugstore for $20 +/-.

I have a 3-diopter lens surrounded by a circular fluorescent lamp that has worked quite well for me when i need some magnification. I have had it so long that the price paid for it is now meaningless.

perchjerker

I dont remember the make and model of mind and I am out of town so I can't check, but I just bought a 3x magnification glass with a circular fluorescent bulb from Amazon for about $50.

It comes with a clamp base which was a pain for me to find a place to clamp it too but it works great. Just remember to set your vice back on the table or you will hit it with the bobbin. It takes a bit of getting used to in terms of the depth perception.

I've tried a couple of magnifiers, and found it screwed up my depth perception quite badly.

I have used reading glasses for many years, and don't have that problem. Plus the glasses don't ever get in your way.

Think the ones I use now are +3.75, bought at the drugstore for $20 +/-.

I bought the combination one McKenzie markets with a light and had a similar experience so it is back in it's box. Also the

darn thing tended to get in my way. Still the magnifiers may work well for some people and the way and things they tie.

i use the lamp shown below but couldnt get used to the magnifier being in the way while i tied so i ended up throwing it out

table_top_craft_lamp.jpg

another option i see at tying show is the "optivisor"

2009914_OptiVisor.jpg

markbob:

I had exactly the same problem with mine. I had an engineer friend calculate the 'balance weight', and went to a stone works place and had a granite base made with a hole drilled in it to accept the male 'friction fit' end. The owner found a 'rough hewn' piece that already had two polished surfaces, for both the top and the bottom. as it was broken off of a larger piece, and too small for him to do anything with, he essentially 'gave' it to me, and charged only for drilling the hole. Works GREAT!

I use mine only when I tie #14, or smaller. Otherwise, I use it just for the light while tying.

perchjerker