Fly Tying

Although I have personally never tried my hand at tying Salmon flies, Judy Lehmberg of my home club is widely recognized for her 'full dress salmon flies'. I do not know what she uses to glue them together, but she apparently glues the pair together before tying them in, if she is tying in pairs. I would think thinned Flexament would work. Apparently, many who tie them for 'display only' only tie on one side of the hook, as this saves materials and tying time. Have no idea what they do.

If you will PM me in about 4-6 weeks, I will be happy to contact Judy on your behalf. I don't think she and her husband are back yet from their annual Yellowstone area simmer vacation, but they should be by then. They are both retired college teachers, and no longer have to be back by the start of school.

perchjerker

Although I have personally never tried my hand at tying Salmon flies, Judy Lehmberg of my home club is widely recognized for her 'full dress salmon flies'. I do not know what she uses to glue them together, but she apparently glues the pair together before tying them in, if she is tying in pairs. I would think thinned Flexament would work. Apparently, many who tie them for 'display only' only tie on one side of the hook, as this saves materials and tying time. Have no idea what they do.

If you will PM me in about 4-6 weeks, I will be happy to contact Judy on your behalf. I don't think she and her husband are back yet from their annual Yellowstone area simmer vacation, but they should be by then. They are both retired college teachers, and no longer have to be back by the start of school.

perchjerker

Why did you bother typing this?How does this help me?Perchjerker your a moron!!

perchjerker

Perchjerker is definitely not a moron. He was typing that because he knows somebody who is very good at salmon flies and can help you. What you said was completely unnecessary he was just trying to help you.

perchjerker

Let me say this, I did exchange private e-messages with perchjerker and my fly fishing skill took a huge leap forward because I took what he kindly shared with me as a valued asset. You would be wise to listen to those who have been fly fishing and fly tying many times longer than us. Perchjerker has earned his value and for one IE: makes some of the best furrled leaders you can get your hands on. I post this as a young man of 64 years. If he contacts Judy Lehmberg on your behalf you will be getting information from TWO of the best. I hope to one day be numbered amongst the best too, I will only get there if I make it a point to learn every tibit of information I can ring out of them. I figure the first trait towards that is to treat ALL the "old timers" (meaning those who have been fly fishing and hanging out here for years) with a huge dose of respect! And I will make darned sure they all know how grateful I am each time they take personal time to offer help or for a criticism. The criticisms I take with intense value, for they are how we better ourselves. As far as posting a bad post... hell... I have posted more than my share of those. Now..shake hands and come out fishing.

Hey first year, get a clue and learn to read the whole post before banging on your keyboard, the man is trying to help you and if you don't want the help then say so, this is not the first time you have made an ass of yourself on here, so calm down and learn that the people responding to you are being helpful and not just wasting their time. If he can put you in touch with a first class tyer then you need to bow down and say thank-you in more ways than one. If not then keep making enemies and see how many of your posts get answered then.

WOW, 1styeartyer, EXCEPTIONALLY bad form!

Only a moron would use a possessive "your" while all non-morons have learned the contraction for "you are" is "you're"...

A person goes out of his way to offer to hook you up with an outstanding knowledge source if you'd (that is a contraction for "you would") just be patient for a while, and you dis him like that?

Any moron could look up a whole bunch of instructions on the web about how to mount married wings and all the other parts of salmon flies.

although your wrong for talking to perchjerker the way you did I'm going to guess your a young person that is in need of some guidence and more then likely a fatherly knee to be bent over or an old woodshed to take a trip to but I digress as for your question you may want to go visit our sister site www.classicflytying.com there is a few guys over there that would gladly help you out

Thanks fellas. I just considered the source.

perchjerker

TOUCHE' Perchjerker! Good Form Joel! RRSHS....wood shed? Sheesh , you must be as old as me?!?!?!? LOL!!!

I don't know about being as old as you, but I am knocking on the door of 75 ( in a coupl'a months). (That's the Texas contraction for 'couple of').

A good choice in feathers for "roofs" or the top wing for flies such as Spey flies, I would seek out the best quality Bronze Malled. When purchased they always supply you with a right and a left and bags may contain a few pair, IF you purchase a bulk bag try and match up the rights with the lefts. The nice flies you see are tied with the very best, in that the individual barbules(on a single fearther OR section of the feather)are nicely married to each other and normally a single feather will only have a 1/4 inchor so of usable feather, look for the area where they stayed married all the way to the tip.Most guys use a right and a left and tie them in together, the right is for the far side and left for the near side (right handed tyers) To make them look good is very difficult. You would be better to check past posts in the Steelhead section. I'll see if I can find more info. pm guys like GREAT8LAKESFLYER or Rocky Maley< Frank Swarner can help if you need it.

PS, Judy marries her feathers together and only applies glue to the butt ends, this helps keep all the married sections from shifting when you "set" the wings, just sayin :blink:

Bruce:

That is the way I recalled Judy doing it, but was not absolutely sure. It has been a couple of years since I last watched her tie, as she has not been at our Annual Flytying Festival the past couple of years. She and her husband are both extremely talented people.

perchjerker

Perchjerker, please keep posting. I find you posts both interesting and very educational. 1st.Year.Tyer, the process is quite simple. Look it up and you'll see what I mean.