Fly Tying
EzGoing

Coq De Leon

Looking for information on Coq De Leon hackles...Can it be used for dry flies...what is it used for? Can anyone post pics of flies with coq de leon feathers/hackle?

Tx.

Coq De Leon is most commonly used as tailing fibers in dry flies also check out these flies by Paco Soria he created a technique using Coq De Leon as hackle on some very productive dry flies here is a link http://flytyingworld.com/PagesP/pacosoria.htm

Mostly tailing fibers but it seems to be used for many applications in and around Spain. Andres Touceda and his buddy will be spending 2 weeks with me in North Carolina in November. I plan on having various workshops... one of which will be all about tying with Coq de Leon (dries, wets, and nymphs).

There was an article in a recent (within the last year) Fly Tyer magazine that touched on Coq de Leon feathers. One streamer really stuck out for me. Tied on a wide gap bass hook with a cone head. 2 Coq de Leon hen feathers as a tail and then tie in another feather and wrap it up the hook. Most took 3-4 feathers to cover the hook. I caught a fish with it the first time I got it wet.

I'll try to remember to post a pic when I get home tonight.

Hi to all from Spain.

Coq de León feathers can be used in different ways: tails, ephemera wings, caddis wings, yo can use the tip of the feathers or taking some fibers between your fingers and then put it on a small hair stacker, etc.

It's very important to know how to select the feather. We don't need the same quality (or "grado") to tie a spanish traditional wet fly or a caddis wing or a nymph tail or legs. However, I think only in Spain it's possible to get feathers from low quality to high, so it could be useless try to explain the differences between and we need a good pics to explain that.

There are three basic aspects to bear in mind: "brillo", "obra" and "rigidez". These three points deteminate the quality of the feather.

So I think it would be more interesting to show some flies and maybe talk about the steps of tying, the way of fishing these flies, etc.

tricpterodelen.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

emergentedepardneditada.jpg

ac3s.jpg

63941453.jpg

Here you can see something more: http://moscas-noega.blogspot.com/

Cheers. Abel.