Fly Tying
fshrmanms

popper spray paint jig

Twelve inch strip of wood, some high end wood clamps with the tips sawed off (from the Dollar Tree)and some hot glue made a descent little jig for airbrushing scales on my popping bugs. I don't have to clean my air brush as many times if I do several bodies at a time. The cloths-pin seems to hold the netting well; I was worried an alligator clip would cause it to bunch up. I am pretty happy with the results but I might try wrapping a rubber band near the top of the cloths-pin to give it a tighter grip.

post-30867-0-54743800-1316372985_thumb.jpg

post-30867-0-88507800-1316373002_thumb.jpg

Very nice. What are you using for the netting?

picked up three different sizes of netting at Joannes fabric store they have big rolls and will cut off only as much as you want. I think most fabric stores have it (I got what might be a lifetime supply for $2). I also am using some fiberglass window screen leftovers (with four dogs the one on the storm door only lasts about a year.) with the screen if you position in the wrong direction you get little squares instead of diamonds but it does pretty good. I'm reusing pieces. So far 3 or 4 times hasn't seemed to effect the pattern.

"REAL MEN" hold the hook and the netting with the tip of their thumb and index finger!!! Ha! (That's how I used to do it many moons ago!)

Neat idea! Don't know why I didn't think of that, given my many different applications of the old spring-loaded clothes pins as a boy growing up! I do use the clothes pins to hold my foil covered bodies in a horizontal position when I spray paint the dark dorsal stripe down the backs. Give a great "feathered" shading down the bug sides.

That's a great idea! I like how you have the clothes pins holding it all together. I had green fingers for a few days because I held them in my hands.

"REAL MEN" hold the hook and the netting with the tip of their thumb and index finger!!! Ha! (That's how I used to do it many moons ago!)

Neat idea! Don't know why I didn't think of that, given my many different applications of the old spring-loaded clothes pins as a boy growing up! I do use the clothes pins to hold my foil covered bodies in a horizontal position when I spray paint the dark dorsal stripe down the backs. Give a great "feathered" shading down the bug sides.

post-8431-0-14083700-1316448676_thumb.jpg