Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

No whip finish...

So a couple months ago Anthony Hipps did a demo of his soft foam poppers and showed how he doesn't whip finish, he just puts some super glue (i think it was zapagap) and then he wraps it in and cuts the thread. I have been doing this now on some of my big flies. Was wondering if anybody else on here does it?

I never do this, because I find whip finishing so easy. But I have seen guys do this and hear that it works well. I just find that my super glue always dries up so fast and I never have any around.

So a couple months ago Anthony Hipps did a demo of his soft foam poppers and showed how he doesn't whip finish, he just puts some super glue (i think it was zapagap) and then he wraps it in and cuts the thread. I have been doing this now on some of my big flies. Was wondering if anybody else on here does it?

Im doing it on my tube flies and some hook flies.

Here is an example.

Fly is a double hook Thunder and lightning variant. Spey.

43045896.jpg

/Allan

Im doing it on my tube flies and some hook flies.

Here is an example.

Fly is a double hook Thunder and lightning variant. Spey.

43045896.jpg

/Allan

Here is another example.

The technique come in handy when mounting the brass head, the glue on the thread will fix the head and then just melt the plastic tube.

atomicg.jpg

/Allan

It's a neet trick that can be used in place of a whip finish or to restart broken thread when reduced thread wraps are needed...

I have done it on minnow patterns using mylar tubing for the body where you have to tie off at the rear of the fly and restart your thread at the head. That whip finish or even half hitch at the rear of a long shank hook can be pretty cumbersome, even doing it by hand. this is the only case I really do it but have never had problems when I did

Just FYI. If you use the large Matarelli whip finisher, you can whip finish the tail on a large fly, such as a long popping bug, with ease. The large whip finisher is so much more versatile than the small one that we advocate to our club's tying class students to be sure to get the large one as opposed to the small one, as you can do everything with the large one that you can do with the small one, and then some! (No financial interest!)

I'll stick with the whip finish. It's easy to do with or without a tool and then a touch of head cement and sometimes not even then. If it works for you go with it.

I always whip finish everything. I know this is just repeating others but it's just so easy and mindless. I whip finish, toss two wraps on and whip once more, i cant remember a fly that came undone with that. As long as you have one whip buried, your good to go.

I do the super-glue method on some foam patterns as well as most of my parachutes. It's not a matter of what's quicker per se, but more a matter of the whip finisher not being the "best" tool for given situations. Sometimes it's easier to just glue and snip...

Here's a quick tutorial on how I do it: http://youtu.be/knLQgVXVnis