Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Crappie are such a nice surprise when fishing for Sunfish. I don't target Crappie ... they just don't read the same books I do and are never where I expect them to be. But I mostly fish for Bluegill and other Sunnies ... and every once in a while, a nice big Crappie picks up a fly.

This was a Bass I caught out of a 1 acre pond near Ft. Bragg, NC. I didn't expect to hook anything like this when I tied on a barbless gold ribbed hairs ear nymph (still in the bottom corner of it's mouth in the picture)...

post-52344-0-68168700-1394031297_thumb.jpg

First fish of 2014. Crappie on a Chartruese and White Clouser.

What state do you live in? I'm not seeing any action yet in the ponds of central NC...

Nice fish, Mr. Baiter. I spent many a year fishing NC ... while in the Marines. Love those small pond bass. We were convoying to Lejeune from Bragg when we stop beside a small pond. I had my telescoping rod and broke it out. Casting a 5 inch Rapala, I got a hit on the third cast and hauled in a 5 pound largemouth. Everyone wanted to use it to try for another one, but we had to move out just then.

I never could find my way back to that pond.

Lovely seatrout. What did that take?
Sorry, forgot the thread. :-)

It took a white wooly bugger. Special made of course ;-)

This is more of flies than fishing, since I didn't catch much today. I did finally get out on the water. Pretty day here, but the winds got to "pain-in-the-ass" levels just after I got on the water.

Here are the flies I had on and tried for the first three hours.

I got a few hits, but I got no hook sets. So, I tied on a little thing I tied up just to get rid of the hooks in my boxes.

I usually don't tie anything this small, and except for trying Massachusetts last winter, I rarely would fish this small.

Because ... this is what I catch when I do.

Nest mates teeming along the shorelines.

Oh, well ... catching these were better than the nothing I was catching earlier.

Nice catch Mike- --- Spotted Sunfish? sometimes those kinds of fish can be the most important... :) There was a time I fished a small pond with my son who was about 6 at the time, and he was catching nice crappies and all I could catch were little 3 and 4 inch bluegills,,, he thought it was the funniest thing and he still talks about it to this day!

Yeah, we have two types of Spotted Sunfish. The black and the red. Both are members of a smaller Sunfish family. A really nice size is about 5 or 6 inches long. But they get hefty and can be quite "thick" for their length. They hit hard and fast to stun and dismember their prey. So it's a fun hit, a fun fish to fight, if you get the hook in it.

dryfly.me_.2014.03.30.fishing_cod1-576x1

Got a couple of cod while I was out fishing for seatrout yesterday, took on both tube and larger baitfish imitation

Very cool, Eide. I thought Cod was a deep water fish. Interesting that you are catching them fishing for Sea Trout.

mike: one of them actually took about 2m out and 1m down (I could see it take the fly), there is a lot of cod near the shore.

Are those juveniles? Or am I thinking about Ling Cod or some other species. I am quite ignorant of most salt water fish.