Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stripes53

Bench / Vise Height

So...

I am planning on building a vice/tool and material holder to sit on my desk and was wondering at what height do some of you who tie lots have their desk, their chair and how high off the desk is their vice?

Just trying to plan out how i mount my c clamp vice to this table top thinger that im going to build

Thanks

I am not an expert or tie a whole lot of fly's but make it what is comfortable for you. You may have to play around with the height to get what is comfortable for you. My vise is about 6 inches above my table that puts it about shoulder height when tying. If I were to redo my setup I would make it a little lower so my arms hang more naturally. If you are going to be spending very much time tying you need to make yourself comfortable so it will be more enjoyable.

I agree with terrymiller1973. You should just try different heights to see what works best for you. I ususally have my Vise at upper Chest height when i am tying.

I like the vise to be as clos to my head as possible so i can see what i am tying, but i also like it to be close enough to the table that i can rest my elbows on the table.

i agree with the above

your setup should fit you and be comfortable

trial and error on getting it setup right

Trittos to the other comments. Let me add this. You don't want to have your back hunched over when tying. . . posture.

It is going to be easier to tie for any length of time pain free if you are sitting erect.

Keeping your desk and chair at standard heights will probably be the most comfortable because that is what your body is use to. For the vise, see if you can find ways to make the height adjustable. If using a base, blocks of wood covered with nonslip material works well and provides a solid nonslip surface to raise the vice.

Charlie

My vise jaws are about 7" above the desk surface. The desk surface is about 30" from the floor, the standard desk height. I use an office chair to plop my rear end in. It has no arms, and the height is adjustable. Think that type is called a secretary's or task chair. I know a few tiers who use an extension to hold the vise out over thier laps, away from the desk.

The comment about posture is smack on. If you have to hunch over, you'll get a backache and find you won't look forward to sitting down at the vise. After all, tying should be enjoyable and relaxing.

I'm comfortable with my vise pretty much at any height, I like it when it's just about equal with my shoulders. Dyna-King makes a vice extension used with a c-clamp that enables the vise to sit over your lap while tying so there's no need to hunch over; it's very comfortable.

http://www.dyna-king.com/product_dtl/?id=354