Fly Tying
blakejd

HMH vise issues

I've got a little problem with my HMH Spartan and was hoping someone could give some insight to a solution. I love the vise but the screw that goes through the lever to tighten the hook continues to loosen after about a dozen flies. I fist noticed it when the screw was spit completely out a few weeks after I got it. now I check it every dozen or so flies and have to give it a 1/8th good tight turn. No matter how tight I get it I still have the problem. I thought maybe they forgot to put some type of lock tight or something on it. I'm gonna shoot HMH an e mail but I was wondering if people had similar problems/solutions.

Josh

I am not an expert but you may want to try an o-ring on the screw or something like Teflon tape. Either of these would provide a little friction to keep the screw from backing out. Hopefully somebody else has experience with this vise and can give you better solutions.

I have the Standard vice and after over 15 years of use this is the only problem I've ever encountered with it, a touch of lock-tite cured it easily.

It's one of two design issues I've observed with my HMH std. However, on mine, the screw in question threads fully in (rather than unthreads) and does not impede function. The other being the tendency of the ring that controls the rotating tension to lose its adjustment. Both are minor annoyances, and I've learned to periodically check these adjustments during a long tying session.

Never had a problem with mine. I'd go with the blue locktite in case you do need to intentionally remove the screw.

I've never had this problem with my HMH Standard since new in 1987 . I am sure HMH will correct it for you once they are aware of the problem though .......Frank

I've got a little problem with my HMH Spartan and was hoping someone could give some insight to a solution. I love the vise but the screw that goes through the lever to tighten the hook continues to loosen after about a dozen flies. I fist noticed it when the screw was spit completely out a few weeks after I got it. now I check it every dozen or so flies and have to give it a 1/8th good tight turn. No matter how tight I get it I still have the problem. I thought maybe they forgot to put some type of lock tight or something on it. I'm gonna shoot HMH an e mail but I was wondering if people had similar problems/solutions.

Josh

Hi Josh,

I'm with several other members who suggest a dab of Lock-Tite on the threads. I've never had to do it on our two HMH vises but we don't have the same model you mention. Anyway, let us know how the suggestion works for you. Take care & ...

One time I thought I had a problem with my HMH and I got out my instructions and went through the reset and bazinga! It works like a charm. I accidently, through handling, off set it. Hope this is all that is wrong with yours and won't need to do without for awhile.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I actually heard back promply from HMH this morning (I was expecting a few days). I do love great customer service. They said a dab of red lock tight and if that didn't fix the problem then they would replace whatever needed replacing. Again I love great customer service.

seems like hmh offered the best advise and will make good if it doesnt work

always good to talk to the people who make things

My Hiwassee trip got postponed till tomorrow so Im killing time on the vise. Came up with this to try tomorrow, if it works Ill name it and tie some more, comments and suggestions are welcome.