Fly Tying
mfs686

Hello from S.E. Michigan

More people on this board closer to me then I thought! I live in Sterling Heights which isn't far from a few of you. Also have a place up in Curran which is about 25 miles east of Mio. I just started fly fishing last year and did some good trips on the Au Sable. My last trip was close to you SteelDrifter, I went out of the Five Channels Dam for Small Mouth.

If you launched right below Five Channels then you were actually only about 150 yards from my cabin. When you turn onto Pine Acres Drive to get to the boat launch dirt road if you go straight on pine acres rather than turn onto the dirt launch road then my cabin is about 150yrds down on the right.

With this many local guys maybe We'll have to kick around the idea of some sort of a "group get together" this summer.

Steve

Man I was close to your place. I spend a lot of time up and down the Ausable. Not a huge fan of wading by myself so it'd be great to meet some time and get some fishing in.

Im game for a group get together! I need some more fishing friends and partners.

Curran is all but dead. A restaurant is somehow surviving in town. Good place is probably why. Owners are from Detroit area. Other then that the BP gas station/subway is about as wild as it gets! If any of you are in the area and see a 1950 yellow jeep or 1953 half ton military vehicle its from my camp!

A get together sounds great.

That's too bad about Curran, that seems to be happening to a lot of northern towns. I have watched Oscoda decline more and more every year since the base closed. First the base, then the salmon, then the TB thing with the deer herd.

I've always liked Curran since I was a little kid, I like them tiny little towns that only have a couple stores. I always said when I retire I'm gonna live in either Glennie or Curran B)

Okay once we get closer to spring then I'll for sure get some plans and ideas together and we'll put together some sort of Michigan based outing on the Au Sable.

Steve

Id take any of you guys up on your offers. Like I said, not a fan of wading alone and its always good to fish with other people. I have a lot to learn when it comes to fly fishing. Im only 26. Been fishing since I was a kid but only fly fishing since last year. Spend a lot of time in salt. Not married so I get to go on lots of fishing trips! :lol:

Sounds like a bunch of you are familiar with Curran. If you know about the Curran fire tower.. thats me!

I'm good for either. If you need any help planning let me know.

Again, is anyone wants to put some walleye in the freezer this spring/summer let me know.

Mark

PS. Anyone here planning on going to the Quiet Water Symposium at Michigan State University this March?

PS. Anyone here planning on going to the Quiet Water Symposium at Michigan State University this March?

I'm not going to that but there is the big Midwest Fly Fishing Expo the 2nd weekend of March which I have a booth at each year and Paul (RRsteelheadslayer) will be there as well. Do you attend that show?

Steve

I haven't in awhile because I'm not looking to buy anything. The last time I was there I about went into sticker shock at what they were charging for rods and reels. Back then I didn't have any place to buy tying materials so I would go to the show to pick stuff up. My only other option was to order stuff from Herter's (now I'm dating myself) but since Gander Mountain, Cabela's and Bass Pro have opened up I just go to one of those stores.

I should go though, I would like to pick up a few tips on tying with foam. This stuff is relatively new to me and I would like to learn more about using it.

It'll be my first show. I dont have any friends or family that tie so I have taught myself. Im looking forward to seeing some of the tyers and products at the show.

I'd be more then willing to introduce myself to you guys at the show too. Put a face to the name!

Ben

mfs if you come to the show I will be there tying and will make sure I put some foam in my supplies to show you some concepts and techniques with the foam

Sounds Good....Thanks!

Mark