Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CrookedHook

NEER Hair flies

So I buy some neer hair the other day thinking I could use it for the wings on a parachute fly but it did not work that great. I have searched a little on google and you tube to find some NEER hair flies and I am not finding very many uses for this stuff. A few people I have talked to about it tend to stay away from it. Have I spent my money on something that is not that great of a product? Also, any suggestions on what to use it for would be nice. Thanks

The photos I have seen look like EP fibers or Congo hair...try a search from that direction...

So I buy some neer hair the other day thinking I could use it for the wings on a parachute fly but it did not work that great. I have searched a little on google and you tube to find some NEER hair flies and I am not finding very many uses for this stuff. A few people I have talked to about it tend to stay away from it. Have I spent my money on something that is not that great of a product? Also, any suggestions on what to use it for would be nice. Thanks

I've never heard of it before. What's it look like?

I've never heard of it before. What's it look like?

It is a very fine fiber a little smaller than human hair fibers. Comes in different colors such as white, crystal blue etc. I would equate it to a very fine krystal flash without the twist. Kind of like a barby doll hair that is somewhat straight.

I bought some several years ago to use on saltwater baitfish patterns, and was not particularly fond of it. It matted & kinked too easily IMO, and really didn't have an action in the water that I liked.

I still have the stuff, and will likely someday tie something with it, perhaps flies for Bluefish that will get torn up. I hate wasting anything and being synthetic it's not going to decompose or get eaten by bugs or anything so I can store it anywhere.

There are other similar materials available that are better for tying IMO, but if you use it very sparsely, and perhaps combined with other materials I think it could be used in some streamer patterns. I've just not spent the time experimenting with it to find out. :(

I bought some several years ago to use on saltwater baitfish patterns, and was not particularly fond of it. It matted & kinked too easily IMO, and really didn't have an action in the water that I liked.

I still have the stuff, and will likely someday tie something with it, perhaps flies for Bluefish that will get torn up. I hate wasting anything and being synthetic it's not going to decompose or get eaten by bugs or anything so I can store it anywhere.

There are other similar materials available that are better for tying IMO, but if you use it very sparsely, and perhaps combined with other materials I think it could be used in some streamer patterns. I've just not spent the time experimenting with it to find out. :(

Yeah I thought about adding it to some dubbing via the old coffee grinder and see if it will work. I too hate to waist the material. I may just hold on to it until someone comes up with a brite idea to use it for.

Neer Hair works well as a wing on an emerger style fly such as a Monkey Bum or Shaving Brush. Both are Aussie patterns.

It can also be used on weighted Toad Flies which we use for our Bream and Flathead.

Hope this gives you some ideas .

Dressing for Monkey Bum is

hook:Kamasan B100 #12-#14

Thread: Black 6/0

Tail: 3-4 fibres brown Pheasant Tail

Wing: Pink Neer Hair

Abdomen:Dark brown Uni-Flex

Thorax: long peacock herl wound behind and in front of wing.

The Neer Hair keeps it afloat and acts as an indicator.

Rod

I used the material quite a bit back in the 90's but never as a streamer hair but for under wings on hopper and large caddis or attractor patterns. I was introduced to the material by a shop that I tied for in Hamilton MT. but not sure was a long time ago. Have been wanting to try it for a synthetic calf tail sunstitute but it may be to supple for this purpose.

I don't know. I look at the pics online, the flies and streamers tied with it, and think it's just another syn hair product with lots of uses in salt water flies especially. I have used several hairs of that type and the only I found I really did not like was the SF product. From what I see of you Neer Hair it is a long hair that is tied with a tie wrap in center. This makes that type of hair much easier to work with and if I got a buy on it I'd probably try it. For the price and overall performance I'm pretty stuck on Congo Hair from the Dungeon these days.

I have been using Neer hair for parachute posts since the '90s.

I use this material in bright fluorescent pink since the color

is very easy to see when a fish takes.

I find if I separate out enough fibers for 1/2 the finished post

diameter, when I double the group under the hook shank, and then

tie in above the shank and wrap a post, the hackle stem makes

the post just stiff enough to wrap my hackle.

I trim the post fairly short (probably less than a shank length),

the Neer hair produces a shiny, hi-viz post that works for me.