Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
southernRoller7

keeping up with the hatch

GOOGLE hatch charts for your area or river/lakes etc that you fish and save them as pdf files or bookmarks

When you have the hatch charts for your area, then you need to learn to identify the insects. Learn to identify both the nymph, and adult stages of your common insect hatches. Troutnut.com is just one site that can help with that. Learn to collect samples of aquatic insects. I usually take pictures of what I find, rather than keep samples. Starting in the spring, you should be able to find samples of a lot of the insect life in your local waters. Make notse on your collections and samples. Keep information on where and when the samples were found, what type of stream flow the sample was in, and what the bottom was like. Now you can compare the samples or pictures from your collections with references (either from books or the Internet.) Now you will have some idea of what hatches your looking for later in the year. The exact timing of any particular hatch can vary from year to year, but one thing that doesn't change is the order of

the hatches.

Get in touch with a local fly shop. They're usually more then happy to fill you in on some info. Most of them usually have a book on local hatch charts there ready for you to purchase. Just talking to more locals always helps when trying to learn things about your native waters.

i agree with Utyer, troutnut.com is really helpful. It can be hard sometimes to truly be up to date on the exact hatch in your area, the name of the game is get on the water, eventually you will be more in tune, i live in minneapolis, and i can just tell when it's caddis time. Going to your local shop can be really helpful too, but hatches change all the time. I guess the underlying message here, is that your question is partially the basis behind why most of us tie, i can have everything i need for less money (per fly haha, not in general)and can adjust to the hatches. There is an old story about fly anglers back in the day who figured out what bugs were hatching based on the flowers that are blooming. Good luck