Fly Tying
eagles_8804

Opinions on this storage system?

I have my bench cleared and my vise attached and now I am trying to find a storage system to store feathers and what-not. I want a multi-drawer system and this is one of them that I found:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2793690

Basically just let me know if I need to go bigger of smaller to accommodate feathers like turkey feathers. My workbench is an old kitchen table so space is not a big deal as I have a lot of it. Thank you.

You might want to go a little bit deeper if you don't want the end of your turkey feathers squished if they are long. Well in my opinion find the longest feather, as long its not a pheasant tail or over 2 feet for obvious reasons, that you have and go from there. How many drawers are looking at here? if you want eighteen then get a deeper, one of those, about 8-9 inches or a even foot. go deeper in short. hah dont you just love midnight posts? when some of them dont make sense? :sleep1: :sleep:

that storage bin will work out just fine for storing small tying materials

then get yourself a vase (metal or glass) to store the long feathers such as peacock eye sticks, pheasant tails, turkey tails etc

Galvanized_Vase.jpg

i would also recommend a rolling 3 drawer plastic bin for the larger fly tying items like neck hackles and saddles. always keep them in the original packaging

disk_box_3.jpg

our approval shouldnt be required for any item you or anybody else wants to use.

I also use the plastic storage bins only because it fits the budget...just don't forget the moth balls. I recently got into organizing a fly box so I have a stash of my usual patterns....this small box I found at Harbor Freight does the trick & is smaller than the bigger utility boxes that I was using......don't mind the mess, it was clean a week ago. :rolleyes:

eagles_8804, I have a couple of those, and as the others have said, they're great for small items. I keep beads, cones, bead chain & barbell eyes in them. For feathers, I use the roller bins that flytire mentioned, and various other plastic storage containers. I also agree with keeping materials in original packaging as much as possible, helps to identify what it is later, and helps protects it from vermin. However, packaging will sometimes get damaged, so some zip lock type bags of various sizes are a good investment. I like freezer bags in particular, as they're usually a thicker material, and most have a place to write what's inside.

The more materials you add to your collection, the more you'll find you will need different types of storage containers, and frankly, nothing is out of the question when it comes to keeping your valuable tying materials organized & safe from damage. :)

flygirl, Nice looking tying setup, I think the purple bins & pink phone are a great combination! :lol:

Organizing a fly tying station c/w handy storage of materials and tools in my opinion is a gigantic undertaking, about equal to producing a PhD dissertation. There are probably as many right ways as there are wrong ways of going about it but one usually ends up with what one is comfortable with. Asking somebody else how to do it is not really a bad way of going about it if you are starting with nothing but $6000.00 and you want to have it all instantly. Fortunately most of us are getting sucked into it gradually and build a set up bit by bit and after a while we feel the need for a complete reno and that then is the time to put bits and pieces of info and handy items seen here and there into a better layout. I have several of those small drawer cabinets and they are very handy indeed; you can tell by how fast they fill up.

Good luck with your task, Luchs.

This is how I handle my stuff. The plastic multi-drawer cabinet on the shelf is for hooks and misc small materials (legs, popper bodies, dumbell eyes, etc. Thread is kept on a Wally World spool rack. I keep my main stash of feathers, hackle, and fur in the small dresser on the left. On the right is a tall bookcase that hold a bunch of those plastic lidded containers (shoe box size) with small bird skins like partridge, starling, and synthetics. I keep my most used dubbing in clear plastic coin tubes, quarter size, on the small shelf in front of me. The zip-loc bags hanging on the right of the desk are for larger skins like pheasant. EVERYTHING is labeled, even the stuff I can see in whatever container they're in. And I still have trouble finding stuff when I need it.

I need another room. Maybe I can talk the wife into eating out more, then I could use all that storage room in the kitchen.

post-4211-0-49968100-1327249561_thumb.jpg

go with some big glad bins, that container thing you posted will be good for holding finished streamers or bass bugs. I use the 50 slot one to hold all my trout flies as i like to tie by the multiple dozens.

This is how I handle my stuff. The plastic multi-drawer cabinet on the shelf is for hooks and misc small materials (legs, popper bodies, dumbell eyes, etc. Thread is kept on a Wally World spool rack. I keep my main stash of feathers, hackle, and fur in the small dresser on the left. On the right is a tall bookcase that hold a bunch of those plastic lidded containers (shoe box size) with small bird skins like partridge, starling, and synthetics. I keep my most used dubbing in clear plastic coin tubes, quarter size, on the small shelf in front of me. The zip-loc bags hanging on the right of the desk are for larger skins like pheasant. EVERYTHING is labeled, even the stuff I can see in whatever container they're in. And I still have trouble finding stuff when I need it.

I need another room. Maybe I can talk the wife into eating out more, then I could use all that storage room in the kitchen.

post-4211-0-49968100-1327249561_thumb.jpg

That plastic multi-drawer is exactly what I'm looking for and the spool rack is pretty nice. Def going to look into picking one up, thanks. and thank you all for the help as well.