Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

Islamorada, FL Report

Im back! lol. Im feeling a little lost not having been on here in 4 days or so! My trip down to Islamorada finally happend. As fast as it came, it went. My first thought on the whole weekend is I want to move there tomorrow. Hell with this Michigan crap!

In any case, heres my report. I started Thursday off with a 2.5 hour lesson with an instructor named Joe Mahler. He is an FFF fly casting instructor and I had a alot of fun with him. The purpose was some brush up and learn some saltwater technique. We worked on shooting lines, double hauling, etc. It turned out great. I was back to feeling comfortable with my rod and ready to rock.

Friday I fished for 5 hours or so out of Key Largo. 25 mph winds out of the SW were my struggle and ended up in much frustration. We struggled to hide from the wind and waves and were only able to track down some sea trout and ladyfish. Had a good time with this particular capt. He was a nice guy and worked pretty hard to get us into the fish. The plus out of it was we were able to bring some sea trout to Hobo's in Key Largo for dinner. If you go there, get it "godfather" style. AWESOME.

IMG_9099.jpg

Now onto Saturday. Saturday we fished with the best guide I have ever fished with. I fish 6-10 charters a year so its a bold statement. The guide was Capt. Greg Poland and you can find him at http://www.gregpoland.com. I cant say enough about him. I will be back thats for sure. A SPECIAL thanks to Capt. Bob LeMay for the referral to him as well. Onto the fishing.. It was litterally one of the best days of my life. We started out at Worldwide Sportsman and went about 30 miles into the gulf. It was windy but the water wasn't to bad. Threw out the chum bag and began fly fishing. Ended up catching my very first saltwater fish on the fly. Not just on the fly either on my own fly. Right after catching it was special to me. I was super excited and the guide happens to be friends with Lefty Kreh. So I got to call Lefty and tell him I caught my very first saltwater fish on the fly and it was on a Lefty Kreh signature TFO rod.

Fighting My First Saltwater Fish

IMG_9115.jpg

First Saltwater Fish on Fly-Spanish Mackerel (Capt Greg and Myself)

IMG_9119.jpg

As the morning went on I caught a ton of spanish mackerel as well as, Jack Crevele, Bluefish, Razorfish, and Blue Runners.

Nice Mack on Crease Fly

IMG_9141.jpg

As much as I thought the morning was awesome the afternoon even got sweeter. We moved 5 miles or so, chummed some more (with some Macks) and threw out the blue runner on the shark rod. About 45min later the line was peeling like I couldnt believe. I landed the biggest fish of my life with a little over an hour battle. A 10 ft 275lb lemon shark. Had a BLAST. Cant even explain how I am feeling about the weekend as a whole. More pics to come. Hope you enjoy

IMG_9170.jpg

IMG_9172.jpg

Also have some video fighting the shark I will post a link to sooner or later.

Absoloutley awesome brother! Now I have to get you up to Long Island for some Stripedbass and Fluke Flats fishing! You would love it! Glad you caught em up! Great pics!

:thumbup: :thumbsup:

I guess the emoticons aren't working.....that was a "Two thumbs up" for your report!

Mike

Glad you had a good trip. This time of year the weather can be tough on fly anglers down there (that's why most days in the winter I'm somewhere back in the bushes...). Glad Greg could put you on a few fish. Anyone needing to learn how to fight a really big fish on the fly needs to find sharks in warm waters where they'll come right to you and eat that fly....

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

Absoloutley awesome brother! Now I have to get you up to Long Island for some Stripedbass and Fluke Flats fishing! You would love it! Glad you caught em up! Great pics!

Im working on some vacation planning now that I am back and depressed lol. Whens peak season usually around?

@PeterJay! I dont even know why I came home. Maybe its this thing called a "job". Love Florida and moving there or having a place is in my future lol. I already have one trip planned for Memorial Weekend. Going out for Tarpon again. However, thats too far away not to get back down there. Hoping for a trip or two inbtween. Helps my Uncle and his in-laws have a place in the same neighborhood. Free room and board!

@Capt Bob LeMay. Again.. I cant thank you enough for getting me in contact with Greg. Top knotch guy and the best guide I have ever used. In fact he told me when we were fishing we were only about 15 miles away from your neck of the woods in Flamingo! You'll be happy to know (but prob not surprised) one of my best producers was your White Water Clousers. Will deff fill my fly box with those for my next trip.

When I was down there I also got a chance to talk to two other tyers of flys I used. I talked to D.L after using his glass minnow and I also got a chance to have a great convo with Tim Borski. Awesome people and an awesome weekend.

thanks for the nice report and great pics. I love the salt but sadly have little experiance.

You guys are killin' me! While Canada may be beautiful and have it's share of nice fishing spots (probably more than it's share) I DO miss muh Florida fishing. Cap'n Bob, I like the idea of training the bulls to go after floatation devices by tying your flies the same color.... :lol: Might cut down on the tourist trade and maybe the crowding at the beaches...Well, one can always hope ... :lol:

Sweet report Bro...Spanish and blues are a couple of my favorites to catch on fly just because the run and pull like a train. Great looking trout, what is godfather style?

It took me 15 years in the air force to finally get to Florida... Will never move back to California, just spread my ashes in the gulf!

Thanks for sharing your vaction with us, very much enjoyed it.

Sweet report Bro...Spanish and blues are a couple of my favorites to catch on fly just because the run and pull like a train. Great looking trout, what is godfather style?

It took me 15 years in the air force to finally get to Florida... Will never move back to California, just spread my ashes in the gulf!

Thanks for sharing your vaction with us, very much enjoyed it.

Yeah, I am young enough to pick up and move south and its very tempting. For the right job I really think I would do it.

In any case "godfather style" had it sauted (spelling?) lemon butter wine sauce and placed on top asiago cheese creamed spinch. VERY good.

Had a blast with the Macks and the Blues.. you are right they pull like crazy. My line was burning right through the stripper guards practically before I could get my finger up!

The Keys are absolutely gorgeous, I lived down in the lower Keys for about 7 years. Between Key West and Summerland Key. I go back as often as I can at least once a year. That is going to be my vacation again this year may have to try to get a hold of the guide you used. It will be my first time actually trying to fly fish.

The Keys are absolutely gorgeous, I lived down in the lower Keys for about 7 years. Between Key West and Summerland Key. I go back as often as I can at least once a year. That is going to be my vacation again this year may have to try to get a hold of the guide you used. It will be my first time actually trying to fly fish.

If you are going to the Keys I HIGHLY reccommend him. I will be back at least once a year to fish with him. Super guy. Good photographer. and he WILL get you onto fish. I have a link for his info on my blog.

That's a great mixed bag of fish you got put on to. Congratulations! I can see how you have the blues, that looks like a trip you won't likely forget for a long, long time.

Kirk

That's a great mixed bag of fish you got put on to. Congratulations! I can see how you have the blues, that looks like a trip you won't likely forget for a long, long time.

Kirk

Yeah I crossed a few firsts off my list for fish on the fly. I wish I wouldv'e kept the fly I caught my first salt fish on. Hind sight I suppose! Looking forward to a couple more trips before summer to FL. I know for sure I have a Tarpon trip memorial weekend, but thats SO far away! lol