Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Polarbear78

knots

Do you guys find it better to use different knots when fishing different types of flies? I have always just used the improved clinch knot. I have never had a problem with it breaking off, but was wondering when fishing little dry flies if my fly would lay better had I used a knot that leaves a loop tied around the eye of the hook. What ones do you guys use and why? I don't often fly fish for trout but I would think it would pertain more to fishing for them as bluegill and bass don't seem to be spooked or tuned off if something isn't floating right.

I use a Davy knot most all of the time because it's so fast to tie. I especially like it on small flys because it is also very tiny.

I use the non-slip mono loop (Lefty's Loop) for Saltwater and whenever I want the tippet-to-fly connection to be a loop.

I use to use the UNI-knot (Duncan Loop) and leave the loop open (when I wanted a loop), but that knot has lost favor with me in recent years.

I plan to use th Davy knot this year for smaller flies.

I also use the Trilene knot quite a bit, but the tippet must fit through the hook eye twice.

Over the last 6 months I have been exclusively using the davy knot. I fish mostly 16 and smaller patterns and the davy is perfect, quick and hard to screw up. If I am fishing larger hooks I have used the palomar knot for 30 plus years without a problem.

I have used the improved clinch for many many years. I am considering going to the no-slip loop. The only reason I have not yet changed is the more tippet material that gets used causing more frequent tippet changes. I want to fish while on the water, not change tippets.