Fly Tying
Flies & Photos

Speckled Trout Fly SWAP

It looks like, by my count, I would be #8, unless there are folks joining thru pm so I can't see.... :lol:... or I'm being punished for leaving God's green sunny South fer the frozen North of Canada... :huh:

Not so much a punishment, rather a painful reminder during the Canadian winter... You have some beautiful scenery and great fishing...Ehhh :lol: Glad your in, outstanding addition.

If I'm not mistaken you used to fish aound Panama City didn't you?

I was raised in Tampa and surrounding area, lived in the Destin area for 20 years , so yeah I know the whole state pretty much. I lived in Freeport and DeFuniak Springs, so we would fish the Choctawhathee River system all the way up to Destin Inlet, all over Bay county, and occasionally out to P-cola and Mobile area. When I was younger I used to leave Tampa on Friday afternoon, pick some place in the state to try the fishing, and get back in time for work Monday morning...course I was MUCH younger then...LOL!

Gents, I just realized I have NO SS hooks for salt. :unsure: There is no way I could order any in and get them tied by March 16th. I would still like to tie a few "mullet" lookin' flies for the big sows. They would just have to be rinsed well after trip is over. Up to you guys if you can deal with the extra hassle....

I may go back to the drawing board for my fly. Tied some congo hair stuff tonight and got thoroughly irritated. That damn Enrico makes it look so simple in his videos. :angry:

Gents, I just realized I have NO SS hooks for salt. :unsure: There is no way I could order any in and get them tied by March 16th. I would still like to tie a few "mullet" lookin' flies for the big sows. They would just have to be rinsed well after trip is over. Up to you guys if you can deal with the extra hassle....

I say go for it! I generally rinse mine anyways when im in salt.. I may have biased opinion though because I live in MI :unsure:

I may go back to the drawing board for my fly. Tied some congo hair stuff tonight and got thoroughly irritated. That damn Enrico makes it look so simple in his videos. :angry:

It just isn't right, is it? :lol:

I finally got my pattern doing what I wanted. Of course I also tied up another pattern last night. Not sure what y'all are gonna get. Heck, you might get two from me. :D

we have been SPANKING them on DOA shrimp this winter. best year ever here but they shut off a couple weeks ago so im riding the bench. yes i resort to the spinning rod especially in the yak. i am still dangerous with the flyaking combo but i plan to do mobettuh. i have been playing with a DOA shrimp pattern and the back issue of hatches i just got gave me some new ideas with beads. i like everything about swaps except running them. it is like herding cats with firecrackers. count me in and thanks for herding, i mean heading, this up.

hutch

pawleys island

South Carolina? Googled Pawleys Island and got a website of a pretty lil southern paradise...envy you guys back down South...great weather this year and plenty nice fishin'....

Send me an address F & P...got one set done...fast and easy ties. Now I want to come up with a topwater for the sows... :lol:

Im going to start tying mine up tomorrow night with a good six pack of beer. So with that being said I feel bad for the guy who gets the fly I tie last :unsure: haha.

SO sometime between now and then I suppose I should figure out a pattern.

I don't have the time to get into a swap right now, but I did get out to stalk a few this past weekend...maybe a little inspiration(wish I wouldn't have pulled the hook on the one that would have gone 28''+).

post-15973-0-97568100-1330115232_thumb.jpg

post-15973-0-65596300-1330115160_thumb.jpg

yeah Pawleys island south cackalacky. we didnt even have a winter this year --water is still 56F. but i work in knee deep cypress swamps so i am not complaining at all.

we dont have underwater grass beds here so i want to survey what you guys do.

do the flies need a weedguard?

what weight rod are you tossing?

do you get it down with a sinking line, flouro leader, or lead eyes.

thanks

looking forward to it.

hutch

Im going to start tying mine up tomorrow night with a good six pack of beer. So with that being said I feel bad for the guy who gets the fly I tie last :unsure: haha.

SO sometime between now and then I suppose I should figure out a pattern.

I think mine get better when I drink. :lol: I hope to start this weekend as well.

Beer make all thing better. I swear it takes at least three iced Coronas to flush a motor and a total of six plus to wash the rest.

I don't have the time to get into a swap right now, but I did get out to stalk a few this past weekend...maybe a little inspiration(wish I wouldn't have pulled the hook on the one that would have gone 28''+).

post-15973-0-97568100-1330115232_thumb.jpg

post-15973-0-65596300-1330115160_thumb.jpg

SHWEEET....Hope you find time on the next one, you seem to have a fairly good handle on this whole feather on a hook thing :D

SHWEEET....Hope you find time on the next one, you seem to have a fairly good handle on this whole feather on a hook thing :D

I love to tie, but I am tediously slow at filling boxes, and my own little adventures normally keep me busy. I hope you guys have a great swap and I will try and get involved next time.