Fly Tying
Flies & Photos

Speckled Trout Fly SWAP

I totally agree. Those flies look awesome. I hope we all stick a fattie with one. By the way, a friend of mine showed me a pic of a real monster trout that's a current pending state record., I didn't hear the weight but it measured 37in!

Thanks Lykos, I like getting in swaps with tyers that make me want to push the edge of my skill level. Was a little worried about the durability of the rattle harness in the prototype so I went back to the drawing board. The one you get has the rattle enclosed in Mylar tubing with an epoxy coat to protect the Mylar and rattle from a snaggle tooth. I can see a redfish eating this bug too. Can't wait for you guys to fish them and give me some feedback.

Went fishing yesterday for the first time in two months... For the reasons pictured below I'd like to change my pattern for the swap. it will, however, take a couple of extr days, I had to order some more blood quill marabou.

If the collective swap members don't mind of course...

By far the heaviest trout I have caught to date on fly. I've caught longer (26") this was 24" but must have weighed 5 lb....The boat is filthy, please don't judge :D IMG_0218.jpgIMG_0219.jpg

The fly, a Gartside Soft Hackle Streamer...The action in the water is unbelievable!

IMG_0679.jpg

Cool by me. Wonderful photos. That's the kind I like to see. Trouts!

Thanks Dave,

I feel kind of sheepish, have never been late before. However, this streamer is nothing short of wicked in the water...Too cool not to share.

I would say if you have a pattern that is that hot...it's worth a wait....heck , I don't even have speckled trout here....but I may adapt ya'lls patterns for rainbows, brooks, browns and stripers....and an occasional smallie... :lol:

Lykos,

If you ever feel like reliving your redneck riviera days you're always welcome on the boat...We could maybe find a fish or two ;)

That's a sweet fly! I'm perfectly content to wait. I'm sitting here staring at the flies sitting on my desk and while I was fired up tying them I'm not so sure now.

This wasn't supposed to be so hard.

ETA: Ok, guys, I guess it's past time to see what you'd like.

This is what I'd planned. I call it the Bunny Grub. I'm sure it's called something else in the real world but I based it on a grub from when I was spinning and it's a trout magnet.

dcbadbfd627e6ea561dd97498ca21a2a_447035_lrg.jpg

Or I can whip up something a little fancier. Seems as though the camera has pointed out a few stray hairs I missed. :unsure:

32a097f767b646d27a77a169ac3310f9_349029_lrg.jpg

That's a sweet fly! I'm perfectly content to wait. I'm sitting here staring at the flies sitting on my desk and while I was fired up tying them I'm not so sure now.

This wasn't supposed to be so hard.

ETA: Ok, guys, I guess it's past time to see what you'd like.

This is what I'd planned. I call it the Bunny Grub. I'm sure it's called something else in the real world but I based it on a grub from when I was spinning and it's a trout magnet.

dcbadbfd627e6ea561dd97498ca21a2a_447035_lrg.jpg

Or I can whip up something a little fancier. Seems as though the camera has pointed out a few stray hairs I missed. :unsure:

32a097f767b646d27a77a169ac3310f9_349029_lrg.jpg

Dude, either one of those would hold a top spot in my box!

Dave, that's one slob of a trout. Take your time on the flies if they produce those fatties. I got out yesterday and got about a dozen trout with 2 around 20 inches. Unfortunately the wind was howling around 30 mph so I couldn't do much flyfishing. Made a few casts doing a roll cast and ducking but it was useless. The wind was blowing me out and the tide pouring in so I was stripping like crazy just to move the fly a foot or so. How has the weather been up by you? The fishing over here looks like it is starting to heat up and should be really good in the next few weeks.

JaxFlyTyer, I agree with Dave, either one of those will gladly go into my box. Beautiful work

You guys know my opinion on waiting for great flies...always willing to wait....never know ya'll might see a brown or big rainbow on one of your flies... :lol:

Murray

Action should really start heating up in the Galveston Bay complex. Our magic water temp is 70* and the last water temp my GPS gave was 68*. Almost there. We did get a lot of rain this past weekend and I've seen a lot of fresh water draining from the bayous. My buddy caught a limit of reds in Chocolate Bay on Sunday. He was casting bullets, aka shrimp. I wish I could've seen that trout firsthand. A real slob of a trout.

DAVE! Nice fish my friend! When should I hop on a flight down :huh:

Im willing to wait. No rush on my end!