Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vtflyhack

Intercoastal water way flies

Hey, I am headed to Ft Lauerdale Fla at end of april. I am looking for ideas for flies to use in the intercoastal waterway. I have been down to fish it in the past but seem to always bring the wrong flies. I will have dock access and I am going to rent a stand up paddle board.

Thanks

vtflyhack

Hey, I am headed to Ft Lauerdale Fla at end of april. I am looking for ideas for flies to use in the intercoastal waterway. I have been down to fish it in the past but seem to always bring the wrong flies. I will have dock access and I am going to rent a stand up paddle board.

Thanks

vtflyhack

Hope its not to late of a reply. If you are not sight fishing then you are just searching. I find ep baitfish to be the best for that along with some clousers, gurlers (morning) and spoons. FL ICW are going to hold your snook, trout, tarpon, drum and some jack. There are more species obviously but they are the most prevalant and the ones you want.

Will you be doing and night time dock fishing? My suggestion is to look at google earth and find some mix of sand and grass. Fish those areas and try to keep it shallow. If you can find that combination with an access point to larger water or moving water mixed in, even better.

Hope this helps.

I just got back from the Mosquito Lagoon which is north of you. I was wade only and never found the reds but I caught a lot of speckled trout on light brown Lefty's shrimp. Mine were tied on a #2 with black med. beadchain eyes. Smaller ones worked well also but they tended to take them real deep and I killed a few before going to the larger size.

Beadchain eyes

tan craft fur tail under fur removed

tan craft fur body with under fur removed done with a dubing loop and made real bushy.

Dark brown ones worked well too. I mixed some with a light tail and dark body and these worked well also.

They also liked crease flies when the water was calm but they had trouble biting them. They sometimes would strike 3 or 4 times on one cast and never actually get the fly. It was quite frustrating. The shrimp worked great worked medium to slow.

If you're going to be nightfishing the local docklights, etc. then here's a pattern that will work well. This past week we caught and released lots of trout, a few snapper and jacks, and oh yeah a 40lb tarpon (and jumped a 60 as well- at almost point blank range). This was in only two nights on the water (the rest of the time I've been booked to fish days...).

Back to the topic, the Night Fly is pretty much a staple for us (and has been since the early 80's....). It's tied up on a 1/0 or 2/0 hook and is little more than a simple white tarpon fly, with a bushy calf tail spreader... Here's a pic or two.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

post-30940-0-81741900-1330821568_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-55949200-1330821583_thumb.jpg