Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Voodoo

JStockard adds

"P.S. Why do their knows have such a large tag" I don't understand this question at all.

God this made me laugh for a few minutes.....im still laughing.

It IS a great store, and who the hell cares about the art? If you want pretty, shop Orvis and pay their prices.

Have you ever had a "not so good experience" at JStockard? Just wondering because I was calling in my first order to them today and I asked about an item (Whiting Flatwing saddle) I am in need of, and as with pretty much every other shop in the US, are sold out..not a problem. The issue I had was i asked if I could be put on a waitlist for an olive one. The woman told me "no, because we'd have to have a waiting list of a million teenage girls." I was willing to pay in advance, and had about $150 order ready to go. I just didn't think that was appropriate to say to a new or old customer! I am by no means judging the whole company by this experience, but for today, my order went elsewhere.

Eh, I have sympathy for the fly shops with the hackle situation. They have probably been inundated by tons of impatient overindulged girls wanting hackle while being inundated by impatient fly tyers who think they deserve preferential treatment by the shops.

I would have cut the lady some slack, you probably are not the only one to want to be put on a waiting list and pay in advance, in fact there are probably many who offer to pay a premium.

Yeah, I just try to turn a blind eye to the hackle thing. I placed an order with JS late last night for some rod building supplies. I had an email at 8:00 am this morning letting me know that one of the items was out of stock but was arriving later that day so the stuff would ship in the afternoon (i.e within 24 hours of my order being placed). They apologized for the delay!

haha, this took off a bit. Not hate'in on JS i just thought it was like an east coast fishing thing or something that i have not seen yet. and sorry for the spelling lol

I just happened to see a JS add and thought I might add. My opinion for what it's worth - considering the types of flies they use, I wonder if they aren't going for an 'old school' look between the fly and tippet that they use in their print adds.

As I said above, I think it's a horsehair line. Google horsehair lines and you'll see examples. Horsehair is still, apparently, used in Tenkara fishing in Japan, and apparently over here as well. The fly on the front looks like an old-time fly, fitting to the horsehair 2-hair tippet.

The 2012 is probably the one he's talking about. It shows an old fly, probably blind eyed, with a ribbed chenile or dubbed body with a green hackle and a green tail. The tippet is furled.

What happened to the tail?

youre looking at the wrong cover AND the wrong fly

Hmmmm. Someone is looking at the wrong fly and cover, but I don't think it's me.

The 2012 is probably the one he's talking about. It shows an old fly, probably blind eyed, with a ribbed chenile or dubbed body with a green hackle and a green tail. The tippet is furled.

That's what I thought the original poster was referring to also. The fly above does not have the the furled line or large "knows" tag.