Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Pamenter

My first every fly - tied a simple clouser

Well I tied my first ever fly yesterday, simple clouser pattern and I thought I would share........be gentle.

post-42559-0-09848400-1331118590_thumb.jpg

Dave

looks pretty darn good

i like it the way its tied bot others will say it tied too heavy and that clousers should be sparsely tied. its just a matter of tyers preference. keep tying them the way you like!

That's a great job for your first fly. Like flytire said, some like them sparse. Personally, I would add a little more red and then only tie the red in ahead of the eyes. That way, the red flares just a little more and closes the gape a little more. While the clousers are fairly snagless anyway due to the inverted hook, having the hair in the gape will prevent grass from fouling and yet I haven't had any trouble with missing hookups.

Nice work.

Deeky

Well I tied my first ever fly yesterday, simple clouser pattern and I thought I would share........be gentle.

post-42559-0-09848400-1331118590_thumb.jpg

Dave

Well now that was strange the quick reply wasn't there. Anyway! Very nice fly as mentioned in previos comments about sparseness i like them thick and the hair is very proportionalized, Good Job!

ps. Proportionalized- something that has been beautifully rationed into different parts. From- my head :D :P :lol:

T-Boll

Looks good to me. I think it's not too sparse. You might think of ways to try to prevent crossing the thread on the head.

Looks good to me. I think it's not too sparse. You might think of ways to try to prevent crossing the thread on the head.

Thanks for the advice, I fixed that on the next few.............. :)

Off to a good start. Trim the thread ends and hit with head cement or a light coat of epoxy to make the head spiffy. :)

Thanks for that advice, I did not have a good pair of scissors then but I do now.............lol, used a loon water based head cement but I don't really like it, might try something else.

Cheers

Off to a good start. Trim the thread ends and hit with head cement or a light coat of epoxy to make the head spiffy. :)

Thanks for that advice, I did not have a good pair of scissors then but I do now.............lol, used a loon water based head cement but I don't really like it, might try something else.

Cheers

Well I moved on to my second pattern and tied my first Deciever today, I think I have the head way too big, will have to work on that, also, might use a white thread next time (will have to get some). I suppose with the big head I can always paint some eyes on it...........lol. Thoughts?

post-42559-0-36439200-1332089566_thumb.jpg

Looks good Dave, especially for a first attempt. Whether you tie them sparse or thick depends entirely on water conditions, how you want the fly to behave, and the species you're after. There's no single correct way. One thing to watch out for on weighted flies is to make sure the eyes are fastened securely to the shank. A common mistake beginners make is to not use enough wraps. Also, be sure to soak the wraps with a good construction cement like Flexament. (I use thinned GOOP) Clear nail polish works great as a head cement. You might also try some woolly buggers to get yourself started. They'll take any fish on the planet, and they're a good fly to practice on. I'm looking forward to watching you develop your skills. Keep up the good work.

BTW - Dave, you should probably resize you photos to make them easier to view. 800 or 1000 pixel width should work OK.

The front part of your deceiver looks ok but youre missing the hackle tail to be a leftys deceiver

The front part of your deceiver looks ok but youre missing the hackle tail to be a leftys deceiver

Thanks for the advice, I did tie in some hackle tail, 2 on either side but the feathers I choose were too small for the fly. They are enveloped by the bucks tail, it is a smallish cape and I will to pick up some more. I am just using this one for practice flies.

:)

Looks good Dave, especially for a first attempt. Whether you tie them sparse or thick depends entirely on water conditions, how you want the fly to behave, and the species you're after. There's no single correct way. One thing to watch out for on weighted flies is to make sure the eyes are fastened securely to the shank. A common mistake beginners make is to not use enough wraps. Also, be sure to soak the wraps with a good construction cement like Flexament. (I use thinned GOOP) Clear nail polish works great as a head cement. You might also try some woolly buggers to get yourself started. They'll take any fish on the planet, and they're a good fly to practice on. I'm looking forward to watching you develop your skills. Keep up the good work.

BTW - Dave, you should probably resize you photos to make them easier to view. 800 or 1000 pixel width should work OK.

Cheers............will resize the image and update, also thanks for the tips.

Dave