Fly Tying
Clouserhead

Lead ribbon/strips for nymphs?

I was watching a Davie McPhail video of tying a Hare's Ear, and noticed he used flat lead ribbon to add weight. Is this common for flies of this type? Most of the local tyers I know use beads when they want to add weight. Does the flat lead come in different sizes? What would I want to buy if I want to try this?

I was watching a Davie McPhail video of tying a Hare's Ear, and noticed he used flat lead ribbon to add weight. Is this common for flies of this type? Most of the local tyers I know use beads when they want to add weight. Does the flat lead come in different sizes? What would I want to buy if I want to try this?

i have some of this lead tape it comes in like a 2 inch wide strip with adheasive backing on it.. you cut to length..i really like it because you can add weight while forming a smoother more tapered body..i think i got it from sportsmans warehouse and it was made by spirit river i think..

I wouldn't say it's common, but McPhail uses it a lot. Lead wire is I think more common over here, and you can get it in different thicknesses.

The flat lead is known variously as "Zonker Tape," I believe. It's used to shape a zonker body, but will work for other lead appliacations as well. You just cut it to the needed size with scissors.

the lead tape can be purchased anywhere quality golf products are sold for dirt cheap its used to add weight to the shaft of golf clubs

So they might have lead tape at dicks sporting goods, or walmart?