Fly Tying
Shirt Rippa!

Lucian Vasies "Perfect Caddis Pupa"

Hey guys

So I came across an awesome looking caddis pupa pattern, its called "The Perfect Caddis Pupa" and from what I can find it is tied by a Lucian Vasies. I have been looking everywhere trying to find the recipe to tie it. I'm sure alot of you could figure it out by just looking at it, but I'm what you might call a novice flytier, so I was just wondering if anyone has tied this pattern? Know where to find a complete recipe? Have a fairly easy pupa pattern you favor? Anything helps guys, thanks in advance!

post-42648-0-00592600-1332283517_thumb.jpg

i just GOOGLED "The Perfect Caddis Pupa" and it was the second result of the search. where did you look to not find it?

i just GOOGLED "The Perfect Caddis Pupa" and it was the second result of the search. where did you look to not find it?

That is the first link Oldtrout posted. I think he is looking for a full pattern, and the pattern in that link appears incomplete. The second link posted above does have a nice sbs.

I've never heard of bodyglass, but it looks like some interesting stuff.

what makes the first link incomplete? it has high quality photos and the recipe. same as most fly tying pattern books out there today.

the pattern on lucians website IS COMPLETE and contains the FULL PATTERN! it contains the recipe AND photos!

splitting hairs today!

what makes the first link incomplete? it has high quality photos and the recipe. same as most fly tying pattern books out there today.

the pattern on lucians website IS COMPLETE and contains the FULL PATTERN! it contains the recipe AND photos!

No hairs to split here. I am not sure which is the lucanis website, but the pattern I am looking at is at this link: http://flytying.ro/masa_muscarului/the-perfect-caddis-pupa-239

And is as follows:

Hook: Daiichi D1150 #12-16

Thread: Black 8/0 UniThread

Body: BodyGlass yellow, honey, etc

Underbody: yellow, green silk or silver, gold, green flat tinsel

Torax: black dubbing

The fly pictured has a beadhead, a sparse wing, of partridge or some other barred feather. and some sort of fibers that may be muskrat dubbed between the folds of the body material. So how could that pattern possibly be considered complete when it appears to be missing half of the materials?

II tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that google is universal. There is no harm in asking a question, and we all can learn from the responses even if a google search could have provided the answer.

splitting hairs today!

Flytire...Thanks for being so rude, I just joined this site the other day thinking it would be a bunch of like minded, helpful individuals willing to help out a fellow fly tier/fisherman. This was my FIRST post on the site and I was almost immediately greeted with your smartass reply, thanks for making me feel so welcome. Guess I better go join a different site.

All I wanted to know was if anyone has tied this pattern or knew the step-by-step instructions for tying the pattern, AS I STATED IN MY ORIGINAL POST. I am fully aware of how google works, I did google the pattern, however almost all of the results were in a foreign language, unfortunately I do not speak any foreign laguages.

I am fully aware that the first link has high quality photos and the recipe, how do you think I got the picture attached to my original post? Apparently you didn't understand the original post or even cared to take the time to read it, I CANNOT TELL HOW TO TIE SOMETHING BY LOOKING AT THE PICTURE, FOR I AM A NOVICE/BEGINNER FLYTIER, again, I was wondering if someone could help me out and not be a complete smartass. It is people like you, Flytire, that make me question the human race as a whole. If you consider yourself a true sportsman, you may want to take a few moments to sit there and reflect on your attitude. Instead of wanting to help someone out, you decided to try and belittle me and make me look like an idiot. Bravo, instead you made yourself look like a complete ass, and you are a grown man which blows me away as well, I would expect it from some punk-ass teenager with nothing better to do, but not someone who is nearly 60 years old.

Oldtrout, FrequentTyer and FishDragon could teach you a few things about sportsman-like conduct, they went out of their way to help me out and found me exactly what I was looking for, without being a smartass about it, thank you very much guys, I greatly appreciate it.

What is cat gut? Surely it isn't what it sounds like...

And I am wondering if vinyl "D" rib would suffice...if you change the color of the thread and use a clear "D" rib, I bet you could get some great variety of flies with only a minor change in materials.

small clear beading jewelry cord, you can get from walmart, will work just as well.

Mike

I have also been trying to find this "catgut". I read that it used to be used to make old tennis rackets :huh:

I think I might have to make a run to the craft store and see if I can find something similar.