Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Question about streamer fishing for bass

I was thinking about this last week on the way back from a short outing. I was fishing a small pond, flat water and very clean. I could see a lot of fish when they struck my streamers (bendbacks and EP's). What I noticed a couple of times was a little surprising. I could see a bass quickly mouth my streamer and drop it...and I never saw any movement out of the fly line/leader and didn't feel anything in my stripping hand. So how many strikes do you think we could be missing and not detecting at all?

Just one of those things I never really thought much about until I witnessed it a few times last week. Any thoughts?

It happens. Just make sure you keep a tight line and keep the fly moving. If the fish is moving toward you and doesn't turn on the strike, there's not a lot you can do about it. If you see it happening, you might try switching patterns and altering your retrieve a bit. You weren't by chance fishing over a spawning bed were you? I've seen fish pick up stuff off the nest and drop it elsewhere.

I saw a video where a bass took in a crankbait with front and back treble hooks and released it clean . the fisherman never felt a thing. If you are seeing them do this to your fly , you should try to keep it from them . Speed up your retrieve when they approach the fly.

Fred

It happens. Just make sure you keep a tight line and keep the fly moving. If the fish is moving toward you and doesn't turn on the strike, there's not a lot you can do about it. If you see it happening, you might try switching patterns and altering your retrieve a bit. You weren't by chance fishing over a spawning bed were you? I've seen fish pick up stuff off the nest and drop it elsewhere.

No bedded fish I have seen here in Ohio yet. These were just fish cruising a weed line in about 2' of water. A few bass rushed the streamer, mouthed it, then spit it. I caught several bass that day and only a few bass did I see take the fly without any indication of a take, otherwise. I don't think it happens a lot, but I'm seeing now that it does happen.

ive had the same thing happen to me while fishing streamers and a guy at the fly shop told me the same thing everybody else is saying to speed up your retrieve. I dont think that happpens very often though, because ive always heard that bass try to swallow things head first, that might be a myth but its what ive always heard

Yeah, good point, I'm sure that happens a lot more than we think. I agree on the faster presentation. Also, strip sets when you're in the "zone" can sometimes result in hook-ups rather than waiting on the movement or the "tell". Or sometimes, I'll just switch to a soft plastic for good measure. ;)

I was watching a big bass follow my perch pattern rather slow so i stopped it about15 feet from yak, it opened it mouth and sucked the fly in and closed it mouth. I stripped stiked and nothing! Its a matter of timing if you asks me.

I just had a brainstorm: it might just be that the water hasn't warmed up enough yet to get the bass feeding like they mean it. With the slow metabolism and all, they're just grabbing the fly on impulse, but they're not really hungry. Of course, it pays to be careful with my brainstorms. My wife usually packs up and goes to visit relatives for a few days when I have one at home.

A lot of EP's and bendbacks have material covering the point of the hook. You still won't be able to completely solve it, but switch to a fly with an open gape and exposed point. At least it will have a better chance of catching something of the fish on its way out.

Deeky

I just had a brainstorm: it might just be that the water hasn't warmed up enough yet to get the bass feeding like they mean it. With the slow metabolism and all, they're just grabbing the fly on impulse, but they're not really hungry. Of course, it pays to be careful with my brainstorms. My wife usually packs up and goes to visit relatives for a few days when I have one at home.

This time of year you will find it happening alot as the water warms you will see they wont do it as much but something I have noticed this time of year when that starts happening something with a wider head that pushes more water triggers more of a harder strike response

This time of year you will find it happening alot as the water warms you will see they wont do it as much but something I have noticed this time of year when that starts happening something with a wider head that pushes more water triggers more of a harder strike response

thats interesting maybe more of a territorial response than anything? But the metabolism thing makes sense to me kind of a calorie intake vs. energy expanded type deal maybe

Something I have my clients do that is less popular in freshwater is a two handed strip. Serves several functions. First is the erratic and faster fleeing fly to trigger predatory response and the second is to have full time tight contact to your fly so you feel every take. Unless the water is frigid, boiling or 0 visibility, I tend to opt for fast and frenetic.