Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ochumgache

Scud Patterns

I'm looking for recomendations on a scud pattern. Even better would be best color and size for Central PA limestones, particularly the LeTort.

Thanks,

Jeff

For central PA I would suggest a modifed muskrat. It is basically a blend of muskrat and awesome possum dubbing put on the hook using a dubbing loop. Trim the top and bottom and pick out the sides. You can put a flash back top on this but it is not that necessary. This is a pattern from Flyfisher's Paradise in State College. There is detailed instructions on their webpage.

Andrew

Scuds are very popular in our tailwaters and there are about as many patterns as there are Scuds in the river. One thing about Scuds is that they aren't always one color. The Pink/Orange are dead ones and we find, that while they can be good, they are only one of several colors to have.

If you want a basic pattern take a Tiemco 2488, dub a Tan, Olive, Brown, or pink body, cover the back with a strip of sandwich bag and rib with wire, pick out legs. You can throw a little Orange in with any color, because their eggs, when carried, are Orange.

If you want a real basic pattern tie Micro Chenille along a standard length hook.

I tell ya that i go back home for opener of trout in Pa on the sw side of the state and the best pattern that never has let me skunked ever ya may laugh.

latex waxwormSize16 to 12 on TMC 2457.Give it a try

tt

Heres a real quick scud pattern. just throw some stuff on your hook and put some plastic over the top. These work just as good as the flies you spend 40 minutes on wink.gif

user posted image