Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
amateurforever

Daiichi 1180 hooks: are they any good for dry flies?

Hi

I know you would reply Daiichi is just fantastic, but what about this special hook? Is it any good for general dry fly tying use? It's not made of 1X fine wire I guess, so am just afraid it would be a little heavy.

Thanks for all comments

Mohsen

I guess it depends on what dry your tying. Something with a foam body or heavy hackle might hold up fine. Sometimes you want that dry sitting in the film, not on it so that might help too. I tied my first few dries in size 14 or 12s on 'normal' trout hooks and the floatability wasn't an issue.

I consider it an excellent dry fly hook, especially if you hope to hook a large fish. I also like to use standard-wire hooks like the 1180 when tying hairwing dries like the Wulffs and Humpies.

I just pulled some TMC 100 hooks and Daiichi 1180 hooks from boxes to compare them in sizes #12 & 14.

Visually, there was no discernible difference between the weight of the wire (or gap & length) between these two hook models in these sizes.

The TMC 100 is marketed as 1XF.

The Daiichi 1180 is Daiichi's dry fly hook under size 16. The 1170 is the "standard" dry fly hook but only goes down to size 16. I use them for dries all the time.

1170- Standard Dry Fly Hook

For decades the Mustad 94840 remained the standard dry fly hook. Daiichi introduced this hook as an improvement to the standard 94840. The advantages of our 1170 include high carbon steel for more strength and sharpness; chemically sharpened needlepoints for superior penetration and a smaller barb approximately 40% of the wire diameter.

Available in bronze sizes: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16

1180 & 1182- Standard Dry Fly Hook, Mini Barb

Shaped like the Daiichi 1170, the 1180 is a round wire hook (non-forged). It also features the Daiichi mini-barb, an impressively small barb that is nearly invisible to the naked eye. Minute barbs hold fish but allow easy hook-ups, plus they are easily removed. Many who "pinch down" their barbs prefer these hooks because they easily pinch down the barbs.

The 1182 version of this hook features Daiichi's Crystal Finish which is a white, silvery plate. A fish looking up at a fly with a "Crystal Finish" hook will find that hook almost invisible, especially with the sky in the background.

Available in bronze (1180) Sizes: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24

CrystalTM Finish (1182) in sizes: 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22