Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
IRITEI

Fly Tyer Magazine "Master Index"

Has anyone ever made up a “Master Index” of articles from previous issues of FlyTyer magazine? Years ago the magazine issued an index each year entailing the years usual four issues, but it was soon discontinued. This would be an invaluable time saver. No reply from Fly Tyer Magazine to inquiry if anything available inhouse or otherwise.

Has anyone ever made up a “Master Index” of articles from previous issues of FlyTyer magazine? Years ago the magazine issued an index each year entailing the years usual four issues, but it was soon discontinued. This would be an invaluable time saver. No reply from Fly Tyer Magazine to inquiry if anything available inhouse or otherwise.

Hi IRITEI,

If you go over to the Fly Tyer forum, David Mac started working on it late last year/early this year. He's a moderator over there and collected every issue. Unfortunately, he had some type of medical emergency months ago, and has been out ever since. No one has heard from him to date on his condition. Here's the link where the start of it is located. http://forums.flytyer.com/forum/35-fly-tyer-magazine

Regards,

Mark

David and I corresponded back and forth for a while as we both had nearly complete sets of Flytyer magazine and we discussed some of the dating details and names the magazine used over the years.

I tried to PM him a month or two back and have not heard back from him. He indicated he was dealing with some serious health issues at the time. I hope he is doing better but fear he is not as I have not heard from him or seen any posts by him for quite some time.

Perhaps he will see this thread and respond.

As to an index for the magazine, I don't think one exists other than a book of patterns they put out many years ago in which each pattern was referenced back to the issue they first appeared in.

Dave

I wanted to bring this topic back to life for a couple of reasons.

First, does anyone have any new information on an index of flies published in Flytyer magazine?

Second, does anyone have knowledge of David Mac's current condition. I've not heard from him or seen any posts for quite sometime. I know he was having some serious health issues.

Dave

I too wondered why there was no master index of Fly Tyer issues.  I have been making screen shots of the back covers of the Fly Tyer magazines I own on my iPad.  This at least cuts down on a lot of review by having most of the featured flies from each issue’s articles available to peruse to simplify my search.  Still a problem if you are trying to find a specific article, but doing the same with covers, and also the tables of contents should also help.  I haven’t gotten that far yet.

16 hours ago, FreshSaltFlyFisher1 said:

I too wondered why there was no master index of Fly Tyer issues.  I have been making screen shots of the back covers of the Fly Tyer magazines I own on my iPad.  This at least cuts down on a lot of review by having most of the featured flies from each issue’s articles available to peruse to simplify my search.  Still a problem if you are trying to find a specific article, but doing the same with covers, and also the tables of contents should also help.  I haven’t gotten that far yet.

I'm the dave (shown as guest in the above posts) that posted.  My identity got dropped when the site went down and I had to re-signup.  At any rate, I always thought that what you are doing would be a good, and relatively easy, way of making an index.  One could make a color photo of each back page and if they could somehow add a brief tag showing the volume and issue numbers of the issue they would have a ready made index.

I would think the publishers could pull that off and make it into a book assuming they have some kind of digital access to back issues.