Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
H Dot Verseman

Fly Tying Inventory

Greetings,

I too have a huge inventory of materials. A four drawer wood legal file cabinet and an armoire that has four shelves, of which two are for materials and supplies. I know I have enough for a couple of lifetimes. i also have not been tying much in the past three years so inventory has been growing from finding great deals at the annual Fly Fishing show here in the DC area.

So a couple of months ago I decided it was time to put all this into a "database". I have decided to start with EXCEL and use a different tab in the worksheet for each type of tying material / ingredient.

My first adventure was to inventory all my hooks. I searched online for hook reference lists (shows hook, and model numbers of various manufacturers, and copied that into the worksheet. Then, adding as needed I developed the list of all my hooks and input my quantity. I had been good about storing the hooks in the 20 compartment plastic hook storage systems from I believe Spirit River. I line the bottom of each compartment with the flexible magnetic sheets cut to the size of the space (Orvis and others' hooks come with a sheet most of the time) and I also use file folder labels, cut to size, and write the type, size and brand of hook on it / put it on the compartment cover for each type/size of hook. I also number each one and then use that as the reference number for each line item in the the worksheet. I have been storing them like this since I started so that was a no brainer in my inventorying effort. Basically have done the same with all my beads and eyes, etc.

Dubbing the same way. I use the same type hook containers and drill holes in the bottom. Again, labeling the top. Where I purchased sets already in containers will input them as is. This is my next step in the process. Again, I will enter the material, color, and supplier name.

The tough part will be the chenille, yarns and related materials. I have them stored in large compartmentalized craft containers and since most that I own was purchased "loose" I don't have a "package" that I can reference for brand, exact color, etc. Not that important anyway. I also plan to copy over from various websites/online catalogs / other sources various material types / color names to save some typing. Just need to edit it so it "works' in the worksheet.

Eventually i will then import it into a database program such as Bento (for MAC) so I can merge it all and then be able to search for a certain color, whatever, regardless of what material it may be. that is a long term "to-do".

It would be great if there was a "program" out there with some templates / preloaded with basic materials lists that one can customize, like for baseball cards. I have a program I use for my vinyl LP collection but it requires one to input each one, though you can use certain websites and import the info.

Enjoy.

One of the reasons I did it was if anything ever happened such as a fire, I would have a record of what I had for insurance.

Some bright geek will make an APP and we'll all be saying I thought of that. Especially if the APP could scan a code in store and reference against whats at home and flag up the needs.

Um, :ph34r: forget all you've read and stock up on smart phones, a great APPS on the way. :ph34r:

Hi bob H

Thanks for the tip, the 14 compartment boxes and the bag looks like a great solution!

Now all i have to worry about is what to say to the wife when se sees me surfing on the craft section at amazon :-)

Knut

I only keep a list of things I use up, on paper. That way, if I am in a shop that has it, I have reminder checklist. Or, whn beginning to tie a new pattern, I can check to see if I need replacement components.

A full inventory? That the wife can find? No way in hell!

Rocco

After seeing 3 packs of the same color chenille, 4 packs of the same color marabou, etc-etc start piling up, I just created an excel sheet with numerous columns (basic description-color-size-manufacturer-stock number-random notes) and tossed a filter on. When I find a fly recipe I may want to attempt, I search thru the file using the filter to be sure I have the ingredients before I head off to the shop or mail order.

After about only 10 years, I've amassed my own fly tying store it seems. What an addiction. It seems I buy more stuff than tie flies. Anyone want a copy, shoot me your e-mail in a PM and I can send it.

My spreadsheet is on my work computer, so for those that PM'd me, I'll get them to you tomorrow. Forgot about that part.