Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chase_smallwood

help with rod selection please

I bought a cabelas package a few months ago and now it has served it purpose. I'm not familiar with fly fishing brands so I'm not sure where to start. I know i get what u pay for but I also know u pay more for certain names. I don't mind paying for quality. I'm looking to pay between 100-200 dollars for the rod. And about the same for a reel. What would ur suggestions be.

This may be a little taboo to even say but my first question is how big are the fish that you are targeting? I only ask because in my experience unless you are fishing for strong fish over 24" I suggest a cheaper reel and spend that extra money on a quality rod be that custom made or made by a brand instead. And don't forget to spend the money on a quality line usually the first thing overlooked by people starting to upgrade their gear in fly fishing. Not saying that this is gospel just what I have seen and if I am wrong please let the good people on this forum let me know why because I still have much to learn and I don't turn experienced advice down ever.

I got a response on another forum about TFO pro series. Cabelas has a package for $220. The pro series rod and a reel with scientific angler's line. Within my budget and i live within 80 miles of the factory in Dallas. Has good warranty and i can always upgrade reels later if needed. I fish for trout on the lower mountain fork river and pan fish. Will probably go with a 4 wt since I already have a 6wt.

i agree with fly junkie as far as quality line goes definetly upgrade line if you buy any package i know it improved my set up more than a new reel would have. as far as rod and reel go though i dont have much experiance in those areas as im new my self.

Just like anything I think its best to take all the advice you can and then go to a shop and cast every rod you might like and probably a few just out of your price range to let you know what you are missing. In your price range I really like TFO and St Croix. Both make excellent rods at a reasonable price. You might also look at what type of fishing your doing. Little longer rod if your mostly nymphing or maybe a little shorter if doing more in close dry fly work. I tend to like 8 or 8.5ft rods with mod fast actions for their versatility in both nymph and dry applications. As for reels you can probably find a reel in the 60-100 dollar range that will do more than fine and you can add the extra hundred dollars to your rod or line.

I definitely agree with what MTFlyJunkie said about reels. Although I don't have one, I have heard good things about Okuma reels on some forums, so you could save a bit of money there and buy a more expensive rod.

IMO .....I would get a TFO BVK 3 or 4 wt, a SA Mastery line, and a Pfleuger Medalist 1494 or 1495 reel. If you want an exposed spool rim go to the 1500 series but they are a little heavier. You will still be under your stated limit of $400 for rod and reel. The reel will be going strong when you pass it on to your grandson and he will be able to use it for many years. They are the timex of reels. The reel will require a minumum of 100 yards of backing and if you get into a big carp you will have a chance of bringing it to hand. The 1495 will probably need at least 150yds of 20# backing.

Have to agree that money spent on line is well spent. Its the line we rely on to load the rod and deliver the fly. Try to check out the different tapers too. A line 'made' for bass flies is built to help turnover the bulky flies but may land too heavily for finer fishing surface flies.

I have started doing more and more salt fishing and while it pains me, I am going to have to spend on a 'salt' reel. Even though I wash my kit everytime I've knackered 2 reels now and the next ones sounding done.

Check out the rods Steeldrifter has made for members. Have a rod to love forever.

If you're going after trout and panfish, just about any reel will do. Like ditz, I like the Medalists for stream fishing. I've got a bunch of them, and I've caught trout to eight pounds and even striped bass on them with no problems. You're probably better off trying rods in person, but I wouldn't overlook Orvis. I've got a couple of Orvis rods, and they're terrific. With a cheap reel, you wouldn't have any trouble finding something that would fit your budget.

If you are looking to spend $400 overall...I would recommend the TFO BVK ( I have one) and maybe something like a Redington Drift reel. You would be at approx $330, then spend the remaining on some quality line. I think you would be set to do some damage on the water with an outfit like that. Just my two cents.

If you are looking to spend $400 overall...I would recommend the TFO BVK ( I have one) and maybe something like a Redington Drift reel. You would be at approx $330, then spend the remaining on some quality line. I think you would be set to do some damage on the water with an outfit like that. Just my two cents.

I think this is spot on.

I got a response on another forum about TFO pro series. Cabelas has a package for $220. The pro series rod and a reel with scientific angler's line. Within my budget and i live within 80 miles of the factory in Dallas. Has good warranty and i can always upgrade reels later if needed. I fish for trout on the lower mountain fork river and pan fish. Will probably go with a 4 wt since I already have a 6wt.

If your near the Lower Mountain Fork River in Broken Bow? Then you can go to Three Rivers Fly Shop by the state park entrance and talk to Jesse. He carries TFO rods. Hope this isnt too late!