Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Swap Club For August

We received two sets of flies today, August & September, from IMX. Both are very nice sets. IMX, I saw your request concerning mailing instructions & I'll take care of it from you.

Take care

BB

if for some reason the postage isn't adequate let me know.

regards,

imx

My flys went in the mail this morning. I tied a fairly simple pattern that has been working for me this summer that I call a sunken bee. Not intended to be an imitation of a bee, but the colors remind me of a bumblebee, thus the name. I didn't have time for a picture, but it's a simple enough pattern. Hope you all like it.

Sunken Bee

Hook: #14 curved caddis

Bead: 3/32”gold

Thread: Uni 6/0 Black

Tail: Yellow water silk

Body: Dubbing loop ½ black rabbit, ½ yellow rabbit spun to create variegated effect

Hey Guys, Just thought I would post an update on which sets of flies are in. I have flies from Frequent Tyer, Fshrmanms, Crackleback, Dreamcaster, IMX, Eastern Fly and Famil00. That's seven sets, and there are a couple more sets on the way. I just wanted to make sure that I have acknowledged all the sets that I've received so far.

Take care

BB

Hey Guys, the list of those from whom I have received flies for August is up to date. There are still 4 sets out. Our mail hasn't run yet today and something could come in, but as of now, were are still missing flies from 4 of you. The mail service seems to leave something to be desired here lately. I have had a rather expensive package of items that I had ordered to go missing recently. The items are being reshipped by the company that I bought them from, and I'm glad they didn't give me a hassle about it. And one swapper had to send me two sets last month, just to get a set in. So if it's been a while since you mailed your flies, you might need to let me know.

Thanks

BB

Riff, your flies arrived today. The package looked like it had gotten caught in a machine, it was torn a bit and crinkled up, but both sets of flies were safely inside, so we are good. Thanks for the extras. I LOVE the bodkin! Thanks, so much.

There are three more sets still out. David's, but I'm pretty sure they are in the mail. I haven't heard from Rural or Andydoc. Unless I hear from them, I will send out the flies that I have as soon as David's arrive.

Take care

BB

Hey Guys, just to bring you up to date with where we are. I have all but 3 sets of flies and I've been doing some checking on them. I have sent several PM's to those whose flies are still out, but with no response. One of our missing swappers hasn't been on the site since August 13 and another hasn't been around since Sept 3. On Sept 3 Andydoc said he was almost through and would have them in the mail in a few days. David said in a PM on Sept 12 that he was trying to get kids settled in college and working some long hours. He may be going to send his in with his September flies. Rural hasn't been on the site since Aug 13. I'm going to divide up what I have and get them in the mail back to you guys either tomorrow (Saturday) or Monday. Do you all have your Messenger set so that if you get a PM you get an email notice about it? Mine is set that way automatically, and I assume that others are also. Even if I don't visit the website, I get an email telling me that I have a PM. It only takes a minute or two to respond to a PM. I hope no one has been in a car crash or is a heart attack victim or something terrible like that. I don't know what to make of the fact that PM's go unanswered.

Sorry for the delays.

BB

When you guys see the pattern I tied for August, you are going to wonder why the SM tied such a plain and simple fly. It looks like something that might challenge a complete beginner, but no one else. But I tied it for one simple reason. IT WORKS! Over the years, it has been one of my most productive flies. But it must be tied according to the pattern. A certain size and syle of hook, the correct number of lead wire wraps, and he head has to be the right color. But if you tie it according to the pattern, it WILL catch fish. Don't turn up your nose when you see it. Tie it on the end of your leader and give it a try. You will be surprised.

BB

BB, you hit on what I think is one of the most interesting things about bluegill patterns. Gills are notorious for hitting anything, so I'm not convinced that the complex patterns are more effective. They may be more fun to tie, but that's a different issue. When you find a really simple pattern that works, it opens up the possibility of experimenting with the pattern and learning what the triggers are. While they are not hard to catch, they do key in on certain color combinations, how legs are tied, where the weight is placed on the hook shaft etc... The effects might be subtle, but they are real. In my opinion, seeing a pattern that has been optimized like you describe is a lot more valuable than seeing something flashy.

I'm sure looking forward to seeing your fly, and all the others!

Mike.

Hey Guys, I am going to owe you all an apology. I had promised to get the August set in the mail before now, but due to circumstances beyond my control, I have not been able to. I had a work-related emergency today that has taken the last possible moments when I might could have gotten the flies out. I am going to be away for a few days and it's going to be the first of next week before I will have a chance to get them out. I can't ask my wife to do it, even if she could figure it out, and with my system, I'm sure she, nor anyone else, could do it. It's something I will have to do myself. And I know that's going to make them a month late, but it's going to be the best I can do. I have had to make decisisons based on priority and, I'm sorry, but that's just the way things have worked out.

Take care

BB

Hey Guys. I'm back from my trip. While I was gone, I received a PM from Rural stating that he will have to withdraw from the swap. If any of you know someone who might be interested in joining for the last 3 months of the year, please tell them to get in touch with me. Andydoc posted on Sept 3 that he was almost thru with his August set and that they would be in the mail by mid-week. That was the last I heard from him and he hasn't replied to several PM's that I have sent, so I may be needing 2 swappers. I will return 1 of your own flies to each you. This will be Rural's set for August. I will hang on to Andydoc's set until I find out what he is going to do. I'm going to try to get them in the mail to all of you on Monday.

Ben, your flies arrived while I was gone. Extremely nice set! Thanks

Take care

BB

Hey Guys, believe it or not, the August set of flies finally went into the mail today! I mailed 6 sets. I'm holding two sets for Andydoc & David McVey. David indicated that he might send his August set when he sends his September set, so we will see. Riff, your set and IMX's set will come with your September flies, and that makes 10 sets. Rural has dropped out and I have my set, so that makes 12. I will NOT wait so long about getting the September set out. Either those missing sets will show up, or I will go on without them, but I will not wait until the first of November to mail out September's flies.

Take care

BB