Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BassMouth87

Introduction and some pictures

Howdy Folks,

Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself and share some pictures of what I have been tying. Around four months ago I got into fly fishing and purchased my first rod and reel. An Okuma Tempest 9 foot 5 weight rod and reel is what I have been cutting my teeth on so to speak and I was hooked from the very first pan fish that I hooked into on the fly. Before moving to fly fishing I was an avid ultralight spin caster always stalking pan fish and crappie. I noticed several people would out fish me day in day out on flies, so I figured I would put years of intimidation and uncertainty aside and look into the hobby.

After donating a few flies I had purchased with my rod and reel to the tree's I went back to the tackle store and grabbed a handful of panfish and trout flies to keep things moving. When the man at the register told me it was $32 for the 15 flies I had picked out I pretty much realized that I was going to start tying to save money (little did I know that it would bleed my wallet as much as it has lol). I went out the next weekend and purchased an Anvil vice, a good bobbin and pair of scissors. I went to a very nice little fly shop and the owner sat me down and taught me how to tie a hares ear with mink, copper wire and a little bead head. I purchased the materials to tie the hares ear and some other odds and ends in order to tie some wooly worms that I had found to be ever so deadly on the pan fish at my local pond.

Here is how it all started:

post-45233-0-34882300-1348614410_thumb.jpg

Within days I found myself purchasing new materials and trying out different things...here are my very first ties within the first week of starting...I know they are a little rough but you have to start somewhere!

post-45233-0-42607900-1348614529_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-87549800-1348614544_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-60191300-1348614593_thumb.jpg

As time went by my bench got cluttered as I acquired more material so I started to try and organize things a bit...here is my setup two months ago:

post-45233-0-03941500-1348614689_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-34720300-1348614710_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-54624900-1348614731_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-44318200-1348614772_thumb.jpg

It was around this time that I started to read online tutorials for those new to tying, and started my book collection. Things grew very quick...partly I think because of all the success I have been having on the water. I have easily caught 800+ pan fish this season on the fly, a boatload of small bass, and recently my first brown trout, my biggest brown trout, and hooked into two monster browns that I did not land. Success in the field helps feed the fuel for the obsession to grow.

Today I got in a new book Charlie Cravens Basic Fly Tying and I spent the afternoon reading through and tying several of each pattern before moving on. Here are only a few of what I tied up today:

post-45233-0-82280100-1348615005_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-18831400-1348615024_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-34094400-1348615067_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-69602200-1348615201_thumb.jpg

Here are a few patterns that I tied up today as well, scud, and a freshwater shrimp (scud) pattern that the little browns seem to love:

post-45233-0-88729700-1348615237_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-54149500-1348615260_thumb.jpg

Here I sit today with a million ideas in my head, a stack of books on fly fishing and tying to read and digest, and a new obsession taking hold in my life...here is my tying bench as it is today. What you do not see is the cupboard full of hackle, capes, and saddles, the drawer filled with dubbing, scud back and thinskin, and other goodies, or the cubby hole filled with flash, craft fur, and buck tail. Go big or go home I always say...

post-45233-0-12167700-1348615402_thumb.jpg

I am now trying to focus more on presentation, proportions, and finding the time to sit down and tie everyday...working 16 hour days does not help, but as you can see I am pretty dedicated and...need I say hooked?;-)

I look forward to meeting you all, chatting, sharing ideas and patterns,

Cheers

Welcome to the forum and the addiction, looking forward to your posts and additions to the database! :D

Murray

Welcome to the forum and the addiction, looking forward to your posts and additions to the database! :D

Murray

Thank you for the warm welcome Murray!

I got a chance to sit down today and tie up a few more hares ear's following Charlie Cravens patterns. I enjoy the way he teaches and explains things step by step, is very helpful in progressing with the hobby and getting better at tying flies. I did not take any photos but will be sure to when I get the chance later this week.

I just placed an order with Green Caddis Outfitters for 250 assorted hooks in smaller sizes...they look like a very good vendor and I cannot wait to get my order in my hands so I can keep tying the little deadly flies that have been working so well on the pressured waters in my area.

Looking good bassmouth!! Have you tied up any pheasant tail nymphs yet with that stack of tail feathers? Another easy, killer pattern. Scuds are killer here as well, especially after it rains.

Have fun, and good luck!

Welcome aboard! Green Caddis Outfitters was started by Will (aka smalliehunter) the developer of this website as well as the "sister" sites....rest assured, he appreciates any purchases.....Jstockards is also a sponsor of this website and has a large selection of materials and great customer service....I stumbled on this website nearly 10 years ago when I was home rehabbing from knee surgery and it re-kindled my passion for flytying.....my flies will never win any contests, but they catch fish and I've met a lot of great people thru this site......you would be amazed of the number of world class tiers that frequent this site and everyone is always willing to offer advice/inspiration.....Enjoy!

Mike

Looks like you're moving along very nicely. I assume you have no cats due to the way the pheasant tail is stored, and no spouse, due to the way your material collection has grown :rolleyes:

I got back into tying after a 35 year hiatus. I showed my son some of the flies I tied when I was his age (15) and he asked me to teach him to tie flies and fly fish. The obsession was immediately re-born. Now, my wife keeps a constant eye on my buying habits.

I've yet to post any pics of my flies. Not because of how they look (they look and fish pretty well), but my camera sucks wind. I've recently gotten into flatwings because I live within an hours drive from a world class bass lake that also supports numerous stripers. It will fill my need between trout outings, which are much farther and fewer.

What I've found most frustrating is that my list of flies I want to tie have grown so quickly that I cannot keep up and no matter how much material I buy, I never seem to have what I need for the newest flies on the list. Or, for most flies on the list, for that matter. I keep reminding myself that I have a lifetime to tie, but at over 50, that's not as long as it may appear :(

By the way, I blame this site and Davey McPhail for unleashing the monster :D

Keep up the good work!

Looking good bassmouth!! Have you tied up any pheasant tail nymphs yet with that stack of tail feathers? Another easy, killer pattern. Scuds are killer here as well, especially after it rains.

Have fun, and good luck!

I have tied them up from a pattern I found in the Fly Tying Bible when I first started tying. I know I can do better now and will be sitting down tonight or over the weekend to try tying them in Charlie Cravens style.

Welcome aboard! Green Caddis Outfitters was started by Will (aka smalliehunter) the developer of this website as well as the "sister" sites....rest assured, he appreciates any purchases.....Jstockards is also a sponsor of this website and has a large selection of materials and great customer service....I stumbled on this website nearly 10 years ago when I was home rehabbing from knee surgery and it re-kindled my passion for flytying.....my flies will never win any contests, but they catch fish and I've met a lot of great people thru this site......you would be amazed of the number of world class tiers that frequent this site and everyone is always willing to offer advice/inspiration.....Enjoy!

Mike

It is good to know that my purchase helps support the developer of this site and his creation. I am a small business owner myself so I understand how every order helps out and appreciate when my forum members use me for their supplies and needs. I am loving this place already...the bug is only getting stronger lol.

Looks like you're moving along very nicely. I assume you have no cats due to the way the pheasant tail is stored, and no spouse, due to the way your material collection has grown :rolleyes:

I got back into tying after a 35 year hiatus. I showed my son some of the flies I tied when I was his age (15) and he asked me to teach him to tie flies and fly fish. The obsession was immediately re-born. Now, my wife keeps a constant eye on my buying habits.

I've yet to post any pics of my flies. Not because of how they look (they look and fish pretty well), but my camera sucks wind. I've recently gotten into flatwings because I live within an hours drive from a world class bass lake that also supports numerous stripers. It will fill my need between trout outings, which are much farther and fewer.

What I've found most frustrating is that my list of flies I want to tie have grown so quickly that I cannot keep up and no matter how much material I buy, I never seem to have what I need for the newest flies on the list. Or, for most flies on the list, for that matter. I keep reminding myself that I have a lifetime to tie, but at over 50, that's not as long as it may appear :(

By the way, I blame this site and Davey McPhail for unleashing the monster :D

Keep up the good work!

I do not have any cats, but I do have a spouse...she is just used to my zany antics and hopping around from hobby to hobby over the years...if she knew how much I have spent over the last few months though I may end up being single...I can agree 100% the frustration of seeing a pattern you like and not having the right materials..I easily have enough materials to tye thousands upon thousands of flies at this point...yet I cannot help but to wonder to my local fly and tackle store at least once a week for an odd item..and end up walking out with a bag...its starting to be a problem lol. Just today I grabbed a Red Fox Tail, a few colored squirrel tails, some size 20 dry fly hooks, and fine tails for RS2's...I have my eye out for a Red Fox Pelt for foxee clousers among other things...ahhh man...I am in trouble but I am loving every minute of it.

My wife accuses me of being obsessive with everything I do. Imagine that. She just doesn't understand that anything worth doing is worth doing well. Go big or go home.

I am 100% the same way...add on tackle, fly rods, DVD's, Books, gear...it can be an expensive hobby for the easily obsessed.

I am going to hit the bench now and try me hand at some pheasant tail nymphs....will post the results.

y0 BassMouth87, fellow Ontario Angler i see! Welcome to the forum, many great members here. I might see you at the Grand sometime B) Well probably not after this weekend, but a few good spots still open like lower Credit and the Bighead.

Mike

Thank you for the welcome!

Glad to see a fellow member from Ontario, is really an amazing place to be when it comes to fishing. Are you going to the Spay Clave event this weekend? I am planning to go for the day on Sunday if you are getting down that way. I plan to be fishing the lower Grand for Steelhead until Christmas:P

A learning curve it is...just finished tying 6 pheasant tail nymphs and I am a bit frustrated. I started at size 12 and worked my way down to 20's... I know my thread heads are a bit big, my proportions are a bit off..and things are a bit sloppy...my hands and brain are not cooperating tonight apparently.

Here is a size 20 pheasant tail nymph

post-45233-0-04711000-1348796070_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-73043600-1348796076_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of the nymphs, sizing goes: 12,14,14,16,18,20

post-45233-0-24512800-1348796246_thumb.jpg

I have a really good camera, a Nikon P500 but I have yet to figure out how to photograph flies properly it seems lol, I have figured out how to photograph flies in such a way as to bring out all the flaws and imperfections sadly.

Thank you for the welcome!

Glad to see a fellow member from Ontario, is really an amazing place to be when it comes to fishing. Are you going to the Spay Clave event this weekend? I am planning to go for the day on Sunday if you are getting down that way. I plan to be fishing the lower Grand for Steelhead until Christmas:P

Sure will be at the spey clave with the wife B) Probably just the Sunday. And yes bring on the steel, already seen quite a few around the Georgian Bay tribs. Grand was a tough one this year with the really low and warm water but it looks like you did really well! Awesome ties too!

The addiction just gets worse... *grin*

I will be at the spey all day Sunday wandering around myself. I had some luck the few times I got out to the grand, hoping to get one more day in before browns close.