Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jmmccutc

advise on my proportions

scotty

i cant and dont want to talk for Dfix and i have no need to de so....BUT Dave has helped me for a long time to perfect some of my patterns and even though he does not have a dig cam to post pics of his flies, i have found his advice second to NONE in helping me so weather he has flies in the DB or not i think is besides the point!

SD

Scott, if there is no "my fly patterns" listed under a person's name, they don't have any patterns on the forum. Why did you ask? Or did you not know how to look?

The question was posed for no other reason other than to satisfy my own curiosity.

Was I incorrect in doing so?

Hywel

No, not incorrect, why I asked. There is nothing wrong with a legitimate question that has no hidden meaning behind it. I was curious if you had no idea that no listing under the name meant no flies listed. Simple question to your question. I was being a helpful mod and helping you learn the system since most don't realize the feature is there. wink.gif

I think that Dave has a contract with The manchester Fly Museum and ,if I am correct, I think he is negotiating a tying contract with the IGFA which will require that he ties only for himself and the IGFA. Any publicity of his flies might jepordize his contract...so now it's out of the bag...sorry Dave... but you might as well let it out since this was going to happen anyway.....

Two hints that can help you make a nice head on your fly that you don't see in the books (be sure you can see every thread wrap as you make it):

1. When you are ready to tie the wing case down, be sure you thread is at the back 1/3 of the head. Then when you do pull the wing case over make 5 wrap right on top of each other on that back 1/3 of the head. Then clip off the excess turkey close to those wraps. You can then finish your head and not have to make it real long and big to cover up the turkey that is sticking out the front. Thread placement is often crucial in flies and never included in patterns.

2. After you have wrapped the first layer of the head, use your thumb and middle fingernails to push the head wraps back off the hook eye if they are up on it any and compress the wraps at the same time you pull on the thread. This will make the head small and neat.