Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WhiteBuffalo58

My First Flies

I started about two weeks ago and this is what i've done so far. I began with a Buzzer, then tried a few other classic patterns, but most are figments of my imagination. Just trying to learn technic at this stage, but can tell that getting wings tyed in properly is going to be a big challenge for me. All comments and advise welcome!

post-45659-0-56433800-1351553377_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Rob

Clean heads, smooth wraps... looks pretty good to me... Keep at it. The biggest peice of advice I have is keep it slow and concentrate on tying in the materials slowly and right. As you get better speed will come.

ok now that you got the tie it all on a hook out of the way now you need to start with a set pattern such as a wooly bugger and tie a dozen of them the first thing I will say on your flies is the heads are very clean but all of them except the yellow one with a green hackle the tails are to long

Tails too long, got it. That's exactly the kind of feedback I need. I'll work on that and start on a dozen Wooly Buggers. I'll aim for true classic form, but how about color variations?

I do appreciate the input, guys!

Rob

You bet! A fly that can't be fished, sounds like a real waste of time and effort. I know i've got the black and brown covered, i'll have to see about the olive. Thank you much!

Rob

You're off to a great start. Those flies are fine for catching bluegill, etc., even stocked trout. (assuming they're the proper size) So what I would do next is get out and fish them before you tie any more. (even if nothing's biting at this time of the year) The idea is to see how they look in the water, if they foul, etc. Give them a good workout, and see if anything's wrong. IMO, the most important thing we gain from experience is learning what DOESN"T work. Most of us are constantly experimenting to see what will work, but that's a lot easier if we've already discarded a lot of bad ideas.

Thanks Peterjay! That's great advise and greatly appreciated! Actually, i've been thinking the same thing. No sense duplicating any of these, if they just don't work, right? Temps are supposed to be back up into the 70's by Friday, i'm gonna try and get out then and give atleast some of these a trial run.

Living along the White River system, namely Bull Shoals Lake, my main goal is to tie flies suited to panfish species. White Bass, Brown Bass, Crappie, various species of Perch, etc... Although the occasional Largemouth, Kentucky or Walleye wouldn't hurt my feelings none! :D Point being that Trout fishing here is pretty much a 1-2 day event every spring when the local hatchery does their annual release below the dam. It's wall to wall fisherman, standing elbow to elbow and a far cry from that peaceful setting along a back country stream. Here on the lake though, I have private access to several hot spots and that's where my focus is for now.

I really appreciate any and all input, guys! Like Peterjay said, the only way to get better is to know where I fail.

Rob

Ok, Mike. I'm on it! Let's give this a try. It's resized to 400 x 311.

First Flies.jpg

Is that a little better?

Rob :D

Wonderful !!! Thank you, very much.

Those are all good looking flies for catching warm water species. Since I am a warm water angler, I like what I see. Some of those look like you've got techniques down to a "T".

Very nice buffalo, I agree with one of the other posts. You don't need to use so much color, some flies you can stick to the more nateral colors. Your off to a good start.

Thank you very much!

Actually I have toned it down on most of my more recent ties. Using color only as a hot spot. The earth tone colors just look more natural to me.

After reviewing this thread, I realized that I never did post these.

post-45659-0-56570000-1352762810_thumb.jpg post-45659-0-50404700-1352762824_thumb.jpg

post-45659-0-21583700-1352762837_thumb.jpg

Rob