Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
zachxbass

caddis dry fly size?

I recently joined the trout dry fly swap, and am doing a foam/ mule deer hair caddis. As i said when joining the swap, i have never fly fished for trout, but i used trout style dry flies for warmwater species regularly. Anyway, to my question;

What size caddis is most commonly encountered on the water? I started tying a bunch of size 10 flies, then realized that trout might not ever see a caddis that large. Bluegill don't care :rolleyes: .

Would size 14 be a better representation on most trout streams? (generally speaking)

Thanks in advance!

Zach

#12-18 would be a good sizes where I normally fish, unless the Dicosmoecus (October Caddis) are about.

A size 14 would be my first choice for a swap.

i fished alot of dry caddis this year and had really good luck tying sizes 16 and 18, they seemed to be just perfect all summer long

It's for a swap ... maybe someone will catch the fish of a lifetime on a slightly oversized caddis. Who knows, you might start a new trend of bigger baits for bigger fish !!! Oh, wait, I think that one's taken.

Who knows, you might start a new trend of bigger baits for bigger fish !!! Oh, wait, I think that one's taken.

says the guy with a bass as his avatar picture :rolleyes:

I think i'm gonna go with a 14, but i may send a few of the 10's out too. I'll let the trout decide what they like.

Do the October Caddis get bigger?

I think i'm gonna go with a 14, but i may send a few of the 10's out too. I'll let the trout decide what they like.

Do the October Caddis get bigger?

Yes, October Caddis can be quite a bit larger. They can be over an inch long. I have fished them as large as a 6. But usually a 8 or 10. The Traveling Sedge is another pretty big Caddis. Otherwise most other Caddis I see are 12 and smaller.