Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Trouser Trout

Hello From Michigan

My name is Brady, and I am born and raised in Michigan - home to some of the best trout waters in North America. I am 27, and been fishing trout for almost 12 years. Just this past summer I got in to the world of fly fishing. Every other year has been using a spinning rig. And after just a few months, I can say that I am probably done with the spinning - fly fishing has officially taken over. (My wife wasn't too pleased when she found out that I had a new hobby, especially when she started looking at price tags of the gear that I wanted. But she'll get over it eventually, right?) :D I am also new to fly tying. I decided it was a good way to spend the cold dark winter nights here when there really isn't anything else to do. I've been trolling sites that have anything to do with fly fishing, and happened to stumble across this one. I can definitely say that I'm glad I did, because this fly tying business isn't as easy as one might think, and having the assistance of many veteran tyers will be a huge help. I'm teaching myself how to tie, and believe me when I say some of my first ties are quite possibly the ugliest looking things you'll ever see. My goal this winter (when I'm not steelhead fishing) is to tie enough flies to last most of the summer.

I know what you're thinking, "Wow, with a user name like that, this guy must be some sort of weirdo!" No worries, I'm as normal as any other guy out there. That name started on an annual trout opener weekend with the fellas, and we don't have enough beer and sandwiches to discuss how it came about.

Thats enough rambling for now. I'm excited to be here, and hoping to learn as much as I can so one day I can pass it on to the next generation. And if anyone in Michigan is looking for someone to go fishing with, give me a shout. I hardly ever turn down a chance to get on the water.

Welcome TT, there are a lot of Michigan fly fishers and tiers here and lot's of experience for you to use. Believe me, this forum is great for newer folks because those more experienced guys and gals are ALWAYS willing to help out a newbie

Murray

I too am from Mich. I started tying a little over a year ago and I can attest that sites like this one and Youtube have definately shortened the learning curve. I never would have imagined that I would be as proficient as I am now...ever, much less only a year later. B) :D FYI Don't plan on saving money on flies by tying them yourself. :lol: :lol:

Where at in Michigan are you? I am also from MI and would love to hook up and learn how to tie a fly correctly. Welcome to the site

Who you kidding riffleriversteelheadslayer! Teach you how to tie one correctly :lol: :lol: :lol: :huh: :headbang:

Hey we all learn something new every day

I've got a good feeling that you're probably not going to learn much from me when it comes to fly fishing. I am from Midland, spend most of my time on the east side waters.

I live in Michigan as well. I am a student at CMU, so I am not far from you. I like to head over to Midland once in a while to stop by Little Forks Outfitters.