Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alabamafisherman

Green pumpkin Gulley Fly

I am going to tie up some gulley flies for spring bass fishing. http://www.taneycomotrout.com/howtotiegulleyworm.html

My favorite worm color is green pumpkin. what colors of chenille should I mix to get a green pumpkin. I was thinking olive, orange, and maybe red?

What do you think?

Alabamafisherman

From what I see Green Pumkin is olive with black speckles. Are there other speckles in it I don't see.

If not, go with the olive and put some speckles with a permanant marker. I like to use a bright contrasting color for my tail if the water is dirty. I dont when water is clear. Maybe a chartruse tail. My favorite is purple or black with a chartruse tail. But I fish in stained water alot. Also dont be afraid to tie some rubber legs at the head for extra action and color too. Just because Gully's don't have it, doesn't mean you can't. You can get tons of colors at bustinbassbaits.com look for skirt tabs in the shopping section. There eyes are the least expensive I can find too.

I'm in Kansas. Good fishing here. People would be suprised.

Buy the way, I have tied worms with standard chenille and they can get water logged and not cast well with light weight fly rods. You have to give it a couple of short false casts to whip the water out before you can make a long cast. Waist of time and energy. I might recommend tying with products like catus chenille or ice chenille. They don't hold water like regular chenille and will cast on a smaller weight rod. I learned the hard way. They work fine for me on largemouth bass. I have also tied marabou with a touch of crystal flash for the tail instead of the foam tail like the gully worm. Also both eagle claw and mustad make the weedless wire hook that the worm is tied on.

I tie these fairly often, Jeremy Hunt (the gentlemans link you posted) used to be a close friend of mine and he showed me how to tie them. If you're shooting for a pumpkin color go with olive, olive and a rusty brown or burnt orange color. If you can find it the verigated chenille with black and rust is smoking hot. Also as stated further up, use a heavier rod. I don't fish them on anything under my 8wt.

Steve