Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Roadkill

Here is a Seaducer variant that is tied with a chenille body and sparser hackle. It still lands lightly on the water but sink a tad faster than the original bushy Seaducer. Its great for shallow water redfish when you need a fly to push water but one that lands lightly and sinks a little.

The material list is in the description of the video when you are on the Youtube site.

Kirk

PeteCooperRoadKill-2-2.jpg

One of these actually has a weedguard, its the one I did for the video so I could demonstrate how I tie in my weedguards.

PeteCooperRoadKill-1.jpg

I know ya'll didn't ask for a SBS but I did a video already. I used to have fits tying in four feathers on each side of the tail until I started making the hookshank wider. If you have trouble tying in feather tails, you can see how I solved my problem in the video.

Kirk, that's a superb looking fly! Love the Blurple! Many species will eat that fly!

I like the way you left some of the fluff in there too! That's something I like to do also! I read years ago that the late Joe Brooks tied many of his flies like that, leaving the fluff in there, so figured if he did it, it was a good idea! :)

sure is one ugly beast, cheers for the vid. I am curious about leaving the fluff on the stem, wondering if it will all just 'matt' together over the stiffer hackle in the water? Or is that the intention? I would have tied it in the other way but interesting!

I am curious about leaving the fluff on the stem, wondering if it will all just 'matt' together over the stiffer hackle in the water?

That has not been my experience, the fluff, is just like adding marabou & it will breath as the fly moves, and will move subtly when the fly is at rest. Of course, that will also depend on the waters. In some places, I won't use flies tied with marabou, as the particles in the water will clog it up & cause it to mat, but that's a different issue and can be problem with other materials as well.

ahhh i see! Well i think i may just have to try that, always found it difficult palmering hackle when it gets down to that thick part of the stem, sometimes can be very brittle and may require a soak to soften it up.

Thanks Peter, I think I like 55 T-Bird better than Roadkill.

Thanks Tide, coming from a seaoned tier like yourseld, I appreciate it. Yeah, I like a little fluff at the head.

Ditz, thanks but I'm sure you're no hack and I assure you I am much less than graceful.

Jam, being an ugly beast must be why they named it Roadkill, like a nice pretty Seaducer after being hit by a truck. As Tide mentioned, it is intended and adds action. The problem you're speaking about with cracked stems will happen when tying way down into the butt of the feather and/or if the feather is old. If you look closely at the part in the video where I strip the fibers from the butts of the feathers, it is actually at a point where the fluff just starts and the stem just starts getting extra thick. Being kind of thick and having some spring to it is why I apply a drop of thick CA to the butts after snipping them off at the head; that ensures they will not pop out from under the thread wraps.

Kirk

Thanks Chef and PG.

You know PG, over here this fly is best in just the opposite conditions for redfish - clear skies, bright day from mid morning to mid afternoon. Not that they wouldn't eat it earlier or later but when things are bright, it seems dark colors for redfish over here don't spook them and allow for a good presentation.

Kirk