Fly Tying
RJD31

Hook Storage

Just FYI ... This is the wrong way to store hooks.

But it does keep at least one hook "handy" at all times.

That's what ended my day on the water today. It was windy and I wasn't catching much. I got hung up, broke off and was retrieving that fly while trying to keep out of the overhang when I hooked myself. It was in an awkward position, and I didn't think I'd be able to get it out myself, so I headed back to the ramp and had a guy there help me.

It came out clean, but I decided the day was over anyway.

lol lol

Wow ... I knew I was lacking in hook organization, but you guys make my system look really bad.

Here's an example of some of my hook storage.

Just FYI ... This is the wrong way to store hooks.

But it does keep at least one hook "handy" at all times.

That's what ended my day on the water today. It was windy and I wasn't catching much. I got hung up, broke off and was retrieving that fly while trying to keep out of the overhang when I hooked myself. It was in an awkward position, and I didn't think I'd be able to get it out myself, so I headed back to the ramp and had a guy there help me.

It came out clean, but I decided the day was over anyway.

... and THAT, boys and girls, is why I flatten all my barbs.

Wow ... I knew I was lacking in hook organization, but you guys make my system look really bad.

Here's an example of some of my hook storage.

Looks like my bait tackle box haha

I've gone through a lot of different containers and methods. I've settled on the Craftmate stuff you can get from craft stores. The ones pictured below are the newer ones I've started to use. Each tray holds 7 4-compartment boxes. Each compartment has curved bottoms and are individually locked (one of the biggest considerations, IMO)

811_4434051002365_617502524_n.jpg

I think this is the best I've seen so far. How big are the actual compartments? Is there some kind of compartment for the trays, or do they stack well?

The trays stack very nicely together. The compartments are maybe 1" by 1.5" and an inch or more deep. I don't store my bigger bass or streamer hooks in these sized compartments, but they're great for all other sizes and shapes.

Great looking fly... one UGLY catch !!! if that is all that fly will catch don't tie no more of them

gravytrain

Thanks for the compliment on the fly. I will say, that is the largest I've ever caught, going a full 215 on a scale (Bathroom, not hanging). And, in my wife's opinion, it's one of the best looking !!!

Great looking fly... one UGLY catch !!! if that is all that fly will catch don't tie no more of them

gravytrain

Thanks for the compliment on the fly. I will say, that is the largest I've ever caught, going a full 215 on a scale (Bathroom, not hanging). And, in my wife's opinion, it's one of the best looking !!!

bet the fly died from infection...

over the years used a few different ones, the best are the craft store bead boxes. Over 12,000 in all that stuff..

post-624-0-29379800-1356043573_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-21088700-1356043581_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-20147700-1356043603_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-22468800-1356043611_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-19807600-1356043618_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-48583800-1356043626_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-91623200-1356043639_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-03102000-1356043646_thumb.jpg