Fly Tying
Phish

long spooled bobbin project

I had been wanting a bobbin to handle the longer Gudebrod and sulky long spools. Unable to locate any for awhile so I took a Stonfo bobbin and had a couple pieces machined. I got it all back together today and tested it. I love it and finally I dont have to repool all the gudebrod threads I have on smaller/standard spools to use on the normal bobbin.

post-35846-0-91015600-1357008421_thumb.jpg

post-35846-0-89853800-1357008465_thumb.jpg

kevin, not to sure, prolly to much if you got get one. Do you have one of the Stonfo's?

Hi Phish,

I wasn't able to enlarge either picture, but from what I can see, it looks like it came out really good. The Griffin bobbin has springs on both sides of the spool, so you can use it for the long Gudebrod ones, or standard sizes too. My favorite thread and color was Gudebrods dark rusty brown in 8/0. I've got a lifetime supply of it now thanks to those large spools.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Phish,

I wasn't able to enlarge either picture, but from what I can see, it looks like it came out really good. The Griffin bobbin has springs on both sides of the spool, so you can use it for the long Gudebrod ones, or standard sizes too. My favorite thread and color was Gudebrods dark rusty brown in 8/0. I've got a lifetime supply of it now thanks to those large spools.

Regards,

Mark

Yea done that but it did not feel that comfortable in the hand as it was more awkward.

A simple solution to the long bobbins is to re-spool the thread onto empty 'standard' spools; it only takes a few minutes to do several. As I frequently re-spool from these long spools to 'standard' spools, I made the shown support to hold the long spool. I simply put the empty thread spool on a 1/4" bolt that is an inch or so longer than the length of the spool, put on a washer and a wing nut, and tighten and tighten the spool onto the bolt. I insert the end of the bolt into my variable speed hand drill, which has been set for a slow speed, and 'wind away'. You van vary the drill speed to suit you.

If you do this it is CRITICAL to make sure that the thread is going onto the empty spool in the same direction it is coming off the original spool; i.e., if it is coming off the top of the original spool it MUST go on the new spool over it's top. (This precisely what one does when putting a new line on the spool of a reel.) If you do NOT do this, the thread will be twisted on the new spool.

It is worth noting that many of long spools have 200 yards of thread on them, and 'standard' spools have only 100 yards on them. Thus, it may take two standard spools to re-spool one long spool. (You just got 'two -for-one'!)

post-8431-0-43075400-1357057897_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-69181200-1357057910_thumb.jpg

Yea have been doing that past 4 years. I use sulky tinsel thread a bit and dont recommend respooling this as will ruin it. The bobbin i did will suit it well without the headaches.

Phish...

Have you tried re-spooling the the tinsel thread without running it through your fingers as a 'level wind' to guide it onto the new spool? Also, did you reel it from top-to-top, or bottom-to-bottom?

I am curious as I have some metallic thread I would like to re-spool to standard spools, but have hesitated for the very reason you mention.

Thanks!

Frank

Yes I did and its difficult at best but when winding from long to spool to narrower it wanted to run off the spool. If you do it really slow by pivoting longer spool back and forth but it get tiresome and frustrating if it get off spool.

Phish...

Have you tried moving the small spool side-to-side, rather than the long 'bulk' spool? I find that this works best for me. Oh, how well I know how aggravating it is if you let the thread run off the new spool!! And yes, the process is tiring. I have been mulling over making a 'base' board to put my large spool holder and my drill on, with a small board in between with a stripping guide mounted on it to pass the thread through and to be able to move side-to-side to serve as a 'winding guide'. A small screw eye would work, but I doubt that they are as smooth on the inside as a stripping guide would be; and such smoothness would be mandatory when working with the metallic threads.

Your thoughts on this approach?

TIA!

Frank

Years back I was tying with a friend at the Sommerset Fly show when I first encounted the Gudebrod long thread spools. At the time they were giveing away free plastic "bobbins"( more of a holder with an extended front that had a hole on the end) for use with them. I have a couple of them still lying around . I also picked up a specialally made bobbin for those spools that looked similar to what you made. It had a long arm on one side with washers at both ends that the spool fit between with a spring and thumbscrew at the far end to adjust the tension. The tip of the tube has a ceramic insert in it.

I will post you pictures of both if you are interested.

Phish,

Nicely done. You had a problem and you solved it. Nice design too. I went to look at a Stonfo bobbin and had no idea how much modifying you did untill I saw it. You did alot to the bobbin. I do alot of machining and have made alot of stuff too. I like it, no advise from me. Looks like you know what you are doing.

Yea I got at least 4 of the plastic bobbin. Yea I could have done a few things but at least I have a bobbin where I can use without having to go extra steps. Then you have braids on the longer spool. I need something to do kill the time in winter where it to cold to get out.:)