Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Swap Club - January Thread

We received Jolly Red's flies a couple of days ago. Sorry to be so long getting them acknowledged, but they are a GREAT set of flies. It's going to be great having Jolly Red with us this year.

Today we received flies from Fshrmanms & Dreamcaster and they are BOTH very, very nice flies. I'm sure that all three of these sets are going to be 'gill catchers. We are picking up in January right where we left of in December, so this is going to be a great year of bluegill fly swapping. I'm stoked!

Thanks, guys, for the extras.

BB

BB, will finish up the flies in the next day or 2 and send them out on wed am. When you get the chance send addy please.

thanks

Steve

Dreamcaster, you can tie any version of the damsel you want. I was thinking primarily of the nymph, but if you want to tie the adult, go for it.

We have received BassMouth's flies. Very nicely done. Since he lives across the border in the frozen North, he's sending his flies 3 months at the time, so I can go ahead and tell you that he has tied 3 great sets of flies. Thanks BassMouth.

BB

Glad to hear they arrived intact, I had a blast tying them and really tried to up my game and challenge myself after seeing the first few sets I received. I also got the last of 2012`s flies in the mail...you guys are all talented tiers, I was very impressed with everything I received. My bluegill box is almost overflowing...I will have lots to play around with come early spring!

post-45233-0-16850300-1358817643_thumb.jpg

BB, I'm doing some sort of little orangey scuddy sowey thing like this. The problem that I'm running into is that I don't have enough size 10 scud hooks...either some will be in size 14, or I'll pick up some more hooks at the fly fishing show in Somerset this weekend. (side note: anybody gonna be there?) I'll get these suckers sent out on Monday morning. Sorry for my absence...work has been just terrible.

We received flies yesterday from BassBugn and I can now make it official. We have two new swappers in our group this year. Jolly Red and BassBugn, and the rest of you were in the BGS last year. Well, to those who were in last year, let me tell you that both of our new guys are going to be TOP NOTCH swappers! Jolly Red's flies, as I have already said, are NIIIICE, and Bass Bugn's are SWEEEET! I love these things and can't wait to fish mine! They are a great pattern and a great tie. Go ahead and start drolling, guys, you are going to like both sets from the "new guys!" BassBugn, where can I get the black rug yarn?

Take care

BB

Thanks very much BB. I use those flies a lot. I've caught some big panfish and even bass up to around 3 lb's. As far as the rug yarn is concerned I purchased quite a few colors recently from:

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing

8307 Manchester Road

P.O. Box 440128

St. Louis, Missouri 63144

1-800-659-1707

It is called Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn. However FF markets it as that and as sparkle yarn. It is on pg 102 of their catalog if you call them. I have heard that Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn is not being manufactured any more. However I'm not sure. If someone knows anything let us know.

Again, thanks

Steve

P.s. For February I will be tying a variation of a scud pattern from Dave Whitlock. For March (Learn a new pattern) I will be tying a Humpy. Bought some materials from Chris Helm's Whitetail shop to tie a Humpy and have not done so. I have used both of these flies for 'gills with great success.