Fly Tying
Piker20

Flexible snakey

I've been flirting with another forum innocent.gif and like the look of the seatrout flies tied on a flexible, mono or wire base.

Here are some earlier attempts.

post-42518-0-14647800-1357746957_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-78921800-1357746982_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-42260400-1357747008_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-47539700-1357747037_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-57320700-1357747057_thumb.jpg

Ben took the words right out of my mouth. I've got some vaguely similar stuff on the drawing board that uses plastic beads rather than tubing, but I think I like your idea better. You've got some fine looking flies there Amigo. Definitely worth stealing.

A Welsh man Dai Jones ties an intruder style fly he calls a snaketruder on a beadalon wire frame. The flexible nature removes all the leverage problems that traditional snake flies (the UK version for seatrout) have and they weigh next to nothing.

Piker, those are pretty cool looking streamers! Unless those fish don't have teeth though, that mylar tubing will shred after a few fish. Have you ever seen flexi-cord tubing? Its kind of like mylar tubing but made with a tougher tinsel intertwined with mono, alot tougher.

I wonder what your seatrout look like? Are they the same as our Spotted Sea Trout, aka Speckled Trout?

Kirk

Gotta check out that flexi-cord, Kirk - I've always had the same gripe about mylar braid. Thanks for the tip.

BTW - there used to be a guy here who fished sea trout a lot in Denmark. (I think it was Denmark) He used to post some amazing pictures of huge fish. I can't think of his name, but if I can find him, I'll post a link. As far as I know, sea trout over there are the same as sea trout in New England. They're actually brown trout - no relation to specks. They're a spectacular fish if you can find them.

Shoebop: It is 25lb mono whipped onto a hook at one end and an eye at the other. I make my eye from spinner wire but could just as easily cut a hook up.

the mylar is then slid over the eye and tied down at the hook end. Little CA glue to hold. GENTLY pull taut so you dont stretch the mono or twist it and tie down at the eye end.

Kirk: I'll have a look for that stuff. The Trout tend to tail nip which is why Sea trout flies often long with just one hook at the tail, So body should be safer than say a pike.

Pete, some great Tube footage of a guy called Lars Nomme fishing in Denmark for HUGE sea trout. They call them sea bass which is even more confusing!

3 more attempts, I have been making the mylar base first and find the heads are a bit large for my liking. I will tie some from start to finish and see if I can slim the head a bit. When I get some more UV resin it will make these easy to knock out and much much slimmer.

Also good excuse to use some mylar that I'm never sure what to use it with.
post-42518-0-06625700-1357766192_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-46373400-1357766220_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-10295100-1357766235_thumb.jpg

I have a lot of flexi cord in gold and silver... This is a neat concept for spanish. I have used tube flies in the past with good results, have to give this one a try.

Thanks...dave

Kirk + Dave,the flexicord, is that the stuff sold by waspi with a lateral line sown in?

Withsome of the clearer mylar you can insert coloured flexifloss to give hints of lateral colours.

First off I am recovering from a bad work related accident that happenned a few days before New years . A ladder broke and I fell 12ft. and hit face first into a ceramic tile floor that completely shatter my nose and busted my upper jaw and i also cracked four of my ribs: this is why I have not been posting anything. But on the subject of Flexi-cord or Flexi-cord Light, I use a bunch of it. My Passion Streamer posting is an example of the product's use. I find it works best if is pulled over a foam ,wool or chamios type body and then laquered or expoxied directly to it, other wise it wil unravel very quickly like any other braid such as mylar, especially if a toothy fish hits it. Yes It is offered as a Wapsi product.

Yeah, sounds like it could have been even worse. Ribs are the worst especially if its your bobbin winding/ rod casting side. Have you escaped a wired jaw?