Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
LukeRoz

Pheasant Tail vs. Hen Soft Hackle

Hello All,

I just started getting into fly tying and had a materials question. I picked up some basic supplies from local fly shop and tried to tie a Psycho Prince nymph. I noticed it called for Pheasant Tail for the wing case. Unfortunately i do not have any pheasant tail. I ended up using soft hen hackle....any problems with that? Any other substitutions that would work just as well??

Thank you in advance.

Hi Luke,

There is no problem substituting materials like that, especially with a wing case. Try to match the color closely, and you should be fine.

Thanks!

Also, does anyone have a good video/article that shoes you how to select and prepare feathers/biots/hackle ? I was a bit confused with how to remove and prepare them from the large tuft or quil...

Identifying and utilizing suitable substitute materials for patterns is an essential fly-tying skill, in my opinion. There are very few materials that have no suitable substitute. I will substitute freely on any pattern for a variety of reasons -- I might not have any of the prescribed material on hand, it may cost more than I am willing to pay or simply be too big a pain in the neck to deal with. One example that springs to mind is calf tail hair for wing posts on parachute style dry flies - it's bulky and slippery and it makes me crazy, whereas synthetic substitutes (Hi-Viz, Z-lon, et. al.) are compressible, lightweight and infinitely easier to handle and therefore make tying a joy, plus they absorb less water and are easier to dry when in use. Done deal! :)

It is always okay, and often a good idea to substitute materials. You'll often find that subbing one material for another will noticeably improve the fly in some way. Tthink Marabou Muddler vs. standard Muddler Minnow, Woolly Bugger vs. Woolly Worm -- examples abound.

Fly patterns aren't commandments carved in stone -- I think of them as being more like Wikipedia entries: subject to revision at will. :)

Thanks!

Also, does anyone have a good video/article that shoes you how to select and prepare feathers/biots/hackle ? I was a bit confused with how to remove and prepare them from the large tuft or quil...

To select the right size hackle, you can use a hackle gauge, or measure the hackle fibers against the hook shank (they should equal the length of the hook shank, or 1.5x the hook gap if you are using a long shank hook). Once you have the right size, you can pluck the feather, and cut the "fuzz" off the bottom. Strip some fibers from both sides of the feather to make it easier to tie in.

For biots, you can check out this prince nymph step by step: http://mytroutfly.blogspot.com/2012/12/prince-nymph.html I cut off the biots in pairs of two, place them back to back (for a tail), and then tie them in. The above SBS covers both biots used as wings, and biots used as a tail.

I ended up using soft hen hackle....any problems with that? Any other substitutions that would work just as well??

Thank you in advance.

any hackle fibers can be used. you did fine

peacock herl can also be used as a wing case in a pinch

a single biot can be used as a wing case

A whole variety of materials can be used for wing cases, and other things in patterns. I've used the brown / black tape from cassette tapes, pieces cut from candy bar wrappers, etc., for wing cases. The only thing to look out for is the way a material behaves in the water. Try to use a substitute that behaves somewhat like the material you are substituting it for. For instance, don't use dry fly hackle for a soft hackle pattern, or the other way around. They act quite differently in the water.

As said, there are really no set rules in tying, have fun and play around with it.

Mike Mercer's Psycho Prince

Hook: TFS 3769, sizes 12-18

Thread: 8/0 Tying Thread, camel

Body Weight: Lead-Free Wire, 8-10 wraps of .020

Bead: Gold Bead Head, match to hook size

Tail: Turkey Biot Quills, trico

Rib: Copper Wire, size to fit

Carapace: Turkey Tail

Abdomen: Ice Dub Dubbing, orange

Wing Tuft: Lite Brite, electric banana

Wings: Turkey Biot Quills, amber

Collar: Ice Dub Dubbing, uv brown